iPhone 4 - Who's got one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, I picked up an iPhone 4 on Tuesday, did anyone else get one, or plan on getting one? I upgraded from an iPhone 3G, and the upgrade is FANTASTIC!! Thing is BLAZINGLY fast, ran a speed test at 1800k down, 1000k up. I will post a screen shot from the phone in a bit.

I got this phone because after MANY repeated drops of my iPhone 3G, the silent switch broke and the phone was forever stuck on vibrate. The vibrator in the phone also got really loose, and it rattles the whole phone when it goes off, and it only vibrates when it wants to. So, having no idea when I was getting a phone call for a few months sucked, but I FINALLY got a replacement. I am REALLY glad that I waited for the new phone, and didn't get a 3GS. The wait was only an hour for me at an at&t store by my house, and I was 1 PERSON short of getting a 32 Gig phone, so I got 'stuck' with a 16 Gig version. That's ok by me, because I didn't even have my old 16 Gig 3G phone filled up completly. The nice thing is that even though the old phone doesn't ring, it still works perfectly well as a 16 Gig ipod touch (not sure if it has ALL the functions of a touch, but I would guess that it does.)

The A4 processor in this thing makes a WORLD of difference.... It's like night an day how fast it is. I LOVE it!!

The new display, simply AMAZING!!! Pictures don't do it justice, you have to hold it in your hand and see it for yourself. My fiancee (who HATES my iPhones BTW) even commented on how great it looks.

I also like that the new volume buttons are just that, 2 SEPARATE buttons making it easier to hit the correct one (with my big hands).

The antenna issues - Ok, I read all about the antenna issues BEFORE purchasing my phone, knowing about that possibility. I spent an HOUR after I got the phone trying to disrupt the signal with my hands, and no dice. I couldn't even make it lose ONE SINGLE BAR, so I call shenanigans on that one. Either that, or perhaps some people just have more oiley skin which affects it differently, I dunno.

The ONE issue that I have with the phone so far, REALLY ticks me off, and I am HOPING that it will be a quick fix with a firmware update, and that is the proximity sensor. It's near the speaker, and it shuts off the display when you are talking on the phone (or it's supposed to) so that you aren't hitting buttons. Well, it doesn't work very well, and my ear constantly is hitting the mute button and dialing numbers while I am talking. I had one call where I actually hung up the call with my ear. OOPS!! Fortunatly, a few days before I got the phone, I got a pair of V-moda ear bud style headphones with a mic so that I can use that to talk, and I haven't had ANY issues with dropped calls or anything on that.

For cases, while I don't have them YET, I have the same model versions for the 3G, and they are GREAT!! By FAR the best that I have seen among friends and people I have met with different cases.

Incipio - Silicrylic - $29.99
This is my #1 pick for phone cases. I ordered it this morning, hoping to get it soon. I have the 3G version for my old phone, and it worked WONDERFULLY. I did manage to break off 4 of the corner pieces over the course of a year and a half (roughly) so I switched to my #2 case, but I just ordered a new plastic backing for my old phone, which I now use as a 16 Gig iPod Shuffle.

Speck - PixelSkin HD - $29.95
This is an updated version of the PixelSkin case (also availabe for iPhone 4) which just has smaller squares on it. Case is all rubber, and it protected my iPhone 3G from MANY drops. This is my #2 pick, as the first has a hard plastic casing that further protects the phone.

So, did anyone else get one?? What are your thoughts??

For the attached pics... the 1800/1000 pic was on 06/30/2010 from inside an AT&T store.
The 2700/1200 pic was from just a moment ago at work.

Attachments

• speed test.jpg
    speed test.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 31
  • faster.jpg
    faster.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 33
Letter from Apple Regarding iPhone 4

Dear iPhone 4 Users,
The iPhone 4 has been the most successful product launch in Apple's history. It has been judged by reviewers around the world to be the best smartphone ever, and users have told us that they love it. So we were surprised when we read reports of reception problems, and we immediately began investigating them. Here is what we have learned.
To start with, gripping almost any mobile phone in certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars. This is true of iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, as well as many Droid, Nokia and RIM phones. But some users have reported that iPhone 4 can drop 4 or 5 bars when tightly held in a way which covers the black strip in the lower left corner of the metal band. This is a far bigger drop than normal, and as a result some have accused the iPhone 4 of having a faulty antenna design.
At the same time, we continue to read articles and receive hundreds of emails from users saying that iPhone 4 reception is better than the iPhone 3GS. They are delighted. This matches our own experience and testing. What can explain all of this?
We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising.
Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.
To fix this, we are adopting AT&T's recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone's bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.
We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.
We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same— the iPhone 4's wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. For the vast majority of users who have not been troubled by this issue, this software update will only make your bars more accurate. For those who have had concerns, we apologize for any anxiety we may have caused.
As a reminder, if you are not fully satisfied, you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.
We hope you love the iPhone 4 as much as we do.
Thank you for your patience and support.
Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom