installing android into hp touchpad?

I am not going to argue about the EULA or what is open source or not. I know Android is open source. I am not stupid. I have used it for long enough and really dont need a link explaining to me what it is.

The fact is the HP Touchpad uses proprietary hardware, just like Macs do, and specific drivers. Something that is not openly available, hence closed source. HP never released the drivers for the TouchPad did they? No. Does that make it open source when they dont release the source code? No. That makes it closed source. Just like OS X is. Wow now imagine that. I compared a closed source item to another closed source item that doesnt have driver support available for the machine that they are trying to install it on. Wow, I guess I did have a clue what I was talking about when I made such a comparison....

Mac OS X on PC = no driver support
Android on HP TouchPad = no driver support

Yeah, I do have a clue here guys. Thanks for trying to teach me something that I already knew, but you missed the point completely on what was being said. The EULA of the software being used means absolutely nothing when the item in question is closed source and nothing is available for it. So yeah, thanks. I do appreciate people treating me like an utter moron when I knew exactly what I was saying and it is in fact correct when you look at it. You went from the completely wrong angle. What Android is or does is not in question, the HP TouchPad is the starting point for this entire topic, not Android.

There was no indication whatsoever about the level of your experience or intelligence posted here - only proof of the legality of what is being done. Not sure why you think we are doing so. I wasn't trying to "teach" you anything, only back up my statements with evidence that I found.

Just because drivers for the HP tablet are closed source by HP, doesn't mean drivers cannot be written by developers. I've seen it done for several phones - source isn't released for a specific piece of hardware; similar hardware or source is found, and then drivers are written to accommodate for the new hardware. I've seen developers for my Rezound re-write the RIL (Radio-Interface-layer) from a previous source that they had and accommodate it for the Rez. I've seen the code that was used, and it was amazing what they did.

You can install Windows or Linux on a Mac, and have to find drivers. You can install Linux on pretty much anything - you just have to either find the open sourced drivers released by the company OR made by somebody who wanted the hardware to work. That's the beauty of Linux - if you have source to base off of, usually you can write drivers to get it to work.

Again, I'm not questioning your intelligence, your experience with Android, Windows, Linux, etc., or even your Admin status. I'm merely stating the fact of the matter that drivers can be written for a closed-source platform to get a different OS on a system, unless the TOS, EULA, etc. for the device say you cannot do that. Usually it does say something about it, but like I said previously, it usually just voids the warranty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom