installing android into hp touchpad?

nev

Baseband Member
Well, I got the touchpad a while ago but I was thinking about how awesome it would be to have the android on it as the OS. Is there any way to get android on without compromising the camera function? Plus is there a latest fix for android on the HP touchpad?

Sorry but that requires hacking the device. We are strictly against such things. You will have to check out other sites for such information. Since there is no "official" support for Android on the HP Touchpad, what you see is what you will get. There is no way around it.

I owned an palm pre back in the day. WebOS was awesome but it never caught on. It had such a dedicated group of people around the world developing all sorts of cool stuff for it. I was so disappointed when palm went out, but then when they were picked up by HP all seemed good. I was going to buy a touchpad but didn't get my hands on one for the liquidation price once hp decided to drop the platform. I had heard about the android thing. Anyway because you mentioned there was no official support by hp to do this and it was considered hacking, it got me curious. Anyway I found a lot of interesting stuff and it turns out HP took a hard stance on this. So anyway for my opinion. You don't want to do that anyway, it'll cripple the awesomeness. Since they dropped webOS though, they have done some exciting stuff recently. They released WebOS as open source! you should explore that instead because looks like there will be exciting stuff based around this. Good luck, wish I had one!

Sorry but that requires hacking the device. We are strictly against such things. You will have to check out other sites for such information. Since there is no "official" support for Android on the HP Touchpad, what you see is what you will get. There is no way around it.
ROM'ing and rooting android devices isn't officially supported either, but we aren't "strictly against" that since we still suggest / assist a bit... =\. Don't exactly see what the difference is.

Well, I got the touchpad a while ago but I was thinking about how awesome it would be to have the android on it as the OS. Is there any way to get android on without compromising the camera function? Plus is there a latest fix for android on the HP touchpad?

Check out XDA: WebOS Software Development - xda-developers

CM7 is on the Touchpad is only Alpha, and not much has really been done with it either.

[ALPHA] CyanogenMod 7 for the HP Touchpad :: V7.1.0 Alpha 3.5 (22 Nov 2011) - Don't Link Directly to Files! - HP Touchpad Experimental Mod - CyanogenMod Forum

It's in Alpha 3.5; seems to be the latest version available - modified Nov 2011..so like I said, not very active device for Android deveolpment.

The reason I said it is due to the fact that it is not like hacking a ROM onto a current Android device. It is taking a device with a different OS and hacking it to Android. Just like we dont support Hackintosh for the same reason.

If it was an Android tablet and he was looking to put a custom ROM on there, I would have no issue with it. But since it is taking WebOS off and putting Android on, that is something that is not intended with the device and we are not the place to get help for such a task. Cause when issues arose, we would not have the answers cause we cant assist with something that we dont know about.

I think it would be more appropriate to compare it to installing Linux on a Windows PC (more difficult than this, yes, but still applies) because Android is open source. OS X isn't, and installing it on non-Apple products is expressly prohibited in the EULA.

Entirely different.

Like iFargle said, Android is open source, so there isn't an issue there. No, WebOS isn't open source, but like iFargle's example... it would be more like installing Windows or Linux on an Apple machine, rather than a Hackintosh machine. If anything, it would just void the Touchpad's warranty, not cause any legal issues (just like installing a custom ROM on an Android phone voids the warranty).

See here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1426239

If issues were to arise, we would do what we normally do with somebody with a custom ROM: basic troubleshooting steps, and if we can't get them passed it, have them go to the developer and get help that way (through XDA, RootzWiki, etc.).

I am not going to argue about the EULA or what is open source or not. I know Android is open source. I am not stupid. I have used it for long enough and really dont need a link explaining to me what it is.

The fact is the HP Touchpad uses proprietary hardware, just like Macs do, and specific drivers. Something that is not openly available, hence closed source. HP never released the drivers for the TouchPad did they? No. Does that make it open source when they dont release the source code? No. That makes it closed source. Just like OS X is. Wow now imagine that. I compared a closed source item to another closed source item that doesnt have driver support available for the machine that they are trying to install it on. Wow, I guess I did have a clue what I was talking about when I made such a comparison....

Mac OS X on PC = no driver support
Android on HP TouchPad = no driver support

Yeah, I do have a clue here guys. Thanks for trying to teach me something that I already knew, but you missed the point completely on what was being said. The EULA of the software being used means absolutely nothing when the item in question is closed source and nothing is available for it. So yeah, thanks. I do appreciate people treating me like an utter moron when I knew exactly what I was saying and it is in fact correct when you look at it. You went from the completely wrong angle. What Android is or does is not in question, the HP TouchPad is the starting point for this entire topic, not Android.

So go ahead and do what you want. I frankly dont care anymore. I am a member with some extra privileges. Nothing more. People are going to do what they want anyways, like M4TT who is going to go against an Admin wishes via PM. It is nice to see that someone of authority is actually taken seriously and their wishes upheld instead of gone around when they make a statement. So whatever. I am done trying to do what is right for the site cause clearly, it doesnt mean jack....

Last edited:
I am not going to argue about the EULA or what is open source or not. I know Android is open source. I am not stupid. I have used it for long enough and really dont need a link explaining to me what it is.

The fact is the HP Touchpad uses proprietary hardware, just like Macs do, and specific drivers. Something that is not openly available, hence closed source. HP never released the drivers for the TouchPad did they? No. Does that make it open source when they dont release the source code? No. That makes it closed source. Just like OS X is. Wow now imagine that. I compared a closed source item to another closed source item that doesnt have driver support available for the machine that they are trying to install it on. Wow, I guess I did have a clue what I was talking about when I made such a comparison....

Mac OS X on PC = no driver support
Android on HP TouchPad = no driver support
What you're describing is....
Linux on Mac = no driver support because, according to you, Macs use proprietary hardware.
This most definitely is not the case.
It's simply a matter of community support.
Open source drivers can be made for proprietary hardware. Will it work? Yes. Will it work well? probably not.

A tablet-based equivalent of what you're describing
(the closed source) WebOS on an Android tablet = no driver support.
WebOS supports a very small (read: ONE) tablet base. Android supports many.

Yeah, I do have a clue here guys. Thanks for trying to teach me something that I already knew, but you missed the point completely on what was being said. The EULA of the software being used means absolutely nothing when the item in question is closed source and nothing is available for it. So yeah, thanks. I do appreciate people treating me like an utter moron when I knew exactly what I was saying and it is in fact correct when you look at it. You went from the completely wrong angle. What Android is or does is not in question, the HP TouchPad is the starting point for this entire topic, not Android.
Well, a PC would be the starting point of a Hackintosh thread, since that's what he's installing it on to.

The only reason we don't discuss Hackintosh PC's on here is because it's against Apple's TOS. Unless there's some hidden thread somewhere I don't know about, this is the only thread prohibiting Hackintosh PCs, and only for legal purposes.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f45/tech-forums-stance-apple-os-x-use-k-hackintosh-235504/

So go ahead and do what you want. I frankly dont care anymore. I am a member with some extra privileges. Nothing more. People are going to do what they want anyways, like M4TT who is going to go against an Admin wishes via PM. It is nice to see that someone of authority is actually taken seriously and their wishes upheld instead of gone around when they make a statement. So whatever. I am done trying to do what is right for the site cause clearly, it doesnt mean jack....
We now have the KSoD Seal of Approval, guys!
So here's an on topic post:
http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/hp-touchpad/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom