i pod touch ?????????????

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
ok, i am a real newbie to all of this tech stuff. if you have read any of my past posts, it is pretty obvious. but this is an entirely new direction, brought about by my son. he wants an i pod touch. i do not even know what this thing is, what it does, or what it is going to require me to pay for after we buy it, if we do. i am old enough that all of this stuff i can do without. but he wants to be like everyone else. i do not necessarily want him to be like me. but i am not sure i can afford all the stuff he wants either. i looked it up, and i see that is is a camera, and he can listen to music and it looks like he can surf the web? what about the app store? how many thousands of apps is he going to need, and what do they cost? is it a telephone also? thanks for any info you can give me on this. i am great with hot rods and motorcylcles, but electronics to me is an alternator, alarm, or cdi ignition.

The iPod Touch is the essential jack of all trades item for kids these days. It is a MP3 Player, Video Player, it has a web browser but only over WiFi, not over the Cell Network. It does have a camera for FaceTalk over WiFi. It doesnt have a built in telephone app, but I am sure there is one in the App Store.

As far as that is concerned, it is what it sounds like. A Store where people go to get Apps that run on the device. They can be anything from games to whatever really. The AppStore for Apple has the largest selection of apps at around 700,000 apps or so. Not saying that all are needed or necessary, but they are there. How many are needed are up to the person. I need the hundred or so apps I have on my device, I do use them all at one point or another in every week. But that is me and not everyone. I know people that have 20 apps and they think that is too much. So there is no telling how many he will "need" as we cant speak for him in that matter.

Same goes for cost. Some apps are free, others cost $1 while others can cost $15 or more. It all depends on the app. You want to research the, check out their website:

App Store Downloads on iTunes

Really there is no saying what apps he will want or what their cost will be. Just make sure that he has his own iTunes Account and that it is not linked to your credit cards. Make sure that you get him the Cards for purchases. Any local Walmart has AppStore Cards in there for anywhere from $15-$50. So get those instead of linking it to your credit card and there is no way he can purchase an app if there isnt funds available. Last thing you want is to have it linked to your debit or credit card and see a couple hundred dollars worth of charges for music and apps.

I hope that is at least a little bit helpful. I dont own one myself, but I did sell them at Walmart for over 2 years working in Electronics. There are plenty of people in one of those stores that can assist you for more information or possibly even have one that they can show you how it operates.

I have a iPod touch... If I were you I would get the fourth or the fifth generation to get the best performance out of it. Since it is for your kid you should get a 4 or 8 gb.

He'll need a wireless network to connect to. How do you connect your computers at home to the Internet now? Broadband? Cable? DSL? Something else? Do you have a router?

No, the iPod Touch is not a phone. But he can download Skype and make calls with an account he sets up and funds.

And he can buy whatever programs he wants to buy as long as there's money in his account. I suggest you set him up with his hone account and an allowance.

Man, you can have my iPod Touch :p
It's a piece of junk now that Android's growing!

I don't know about them being junk as they are very nice. however i would prefer a Samsung Galaxy player, myself.

You can literally have it. I got the S2, and I have nowhere to sell the Player. I dont believe in selling online either.

If you are talking about the Galaxy S II I have that phone as well, from T-Mobile. My MP3 player is a Sansa Clip, though.

I have the Sprint Epic 4G SII. But parents got me a Player like a month before I got my SII, and I had an iPod, so it sits there gathering dust.

I have the Sprint Epic 4G SII. But parents got me a Player like a month before I got my SII, and I had an iPod, so it sits there gathering dust.

I'll take it :p. My gf has been looking at the Galaxy players, but they're spendy new, and I haven't got the cash at the moment to get one for her for an anniversary gift or anything. Gotta love being in college...

Back
Top Bottom