I can't find my pictures on my phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech2011

Solid State Member
Greetings again!
I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I took some pictures using the default camera app on Android (2.2 Froyo) and when I plugged in my phone to the computer and used it as a USB drive I couldn't find the pictures. I looked in every SD card folder and directory and I couldn't find those pictures. I can only see the pictures that were stored on the SD card, but I can't see the ones that apparently got stored on my phone. Does anyone know where those pictures might have been stored? And does anyone know how to move em' to SD card? Thanks again for all the help!

Which phone? Jsut saying Android 2.2 Froyo doesnt give us all the answers. Being a Samsung or other brand can easily affect where the pictures are stored based on what those companies did to change it from the vanilla Froyo setup.

I know in my Android based phone it is located in the DCIM folder.

Yeah so am I. Samsung Galaxy S for AT&T called the Captivate. But that might only be for the Samsung Based phones that it is located there.

With most phones, don't quote me on this, internal memory can not be accessed, as then it would be far too easy to modify things in the firmware. I would recommend going into your pictures from your phone, and moving them to your SD card then checking the SD card folders.

With Android based phones you can access internal storage. Some phones only have internal storage at the time of purchase and everything is stored on them. The Captivate is this way with 16GB of internal Storage with the ability to add another 8GB via MicroSD Cards. I now own an Atrix and that comes with 16GB of internal storage with the ability to add a 32GB MicroSD card.

So with Android based phones you can access the internal memory. Most things like the firmware are locked down and require you to root the device in order to obtain access to modify those files. This is all on Android based phones which the OP asked about.

The Captivate comes with 2.1 Eclair and the Atrix comes with 2.2 Froyo. Now the thing to remember is if you do have an MicroSD card installed, your camera might store pictures on that by default. My Atrix does. It is still located under /sdcard/DCIM/Camera as the file location.

I have a feeling the OP has forgotten about this thread.

Anyway, +1 to everything KSoD said.

With Android based phones you can access internal storage. Some phones only have internal storage at the time of purchase and everything is stored on them. The Captivate is this way with 16GB of internal Storage with the ability to add another 8GB via MicroSD Cards. I now own an Atrix and that comes with 16GB of internal storage with the ability to add a 32GB MicroSD card.

So with Android based phones you can access the internal memory. Most things like the firmware are locked down and require you to root the device in order to obtain access to modify those files. This is all on Android based phones which the OP asked about.

The Captivate comes with 2.1 Eclair and the Atrix comes with 2.2 Froyo. Now the thing to remember is if you do have an MicroSD card installed, your camera might store pictures on that by default. My Atrix does. It is still located under /sdcard/DCIM/Camera as the file location.

I was not aware of that, very informative, thank you. I know when dealing with my smart phones, mainly Blackberrys unfortunately, I was unable to access anything but Mass Media Storage, internal memory was heavily encrypted.

Well the thing to remember about the Android devices, they are built on open source. Google is the backer. The open source community thrives on allowing others having access to these files, making changes and sharing those changes with the community at large. The only thing that is locked down is the boot loaders. Those are done by the device manufacturer. Some can be gotten around like the Captivate, others are signed like the Atrix making it almost impossible to get around.

The reason for locking down the boot loaders is so that people dont install custom made ROMS onto their device. But then again being open source, they find a way anyways. Using an Android based device is a lot like using Linux in general now. There is so many different options and ways to get around various things so that you have full control over the device, not the company that made it. This is what makes Android such a favorite to users over other devices like Windows Phone 7, iPhones and Blackberry's. If they knew the freedom you have using an Android based device they would most likely switch. There isnt much that these devices cant and dont do.

Froyo even comes with the ability to have Flash 10.2 installed. What more do you want when you can surf the web on your phone just like you were on your PC? Using an Android was an eye opening experience for myself. As i wanted a WP7. I opted to get the Captivate instead and it was the best decision in my life. I will not look back at other such smart phones without first seeing what is available on Android at the time. It gives you that much freedom and enjoyment using your device when you control it, not just have to work with the quirks that are built into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom