How to update a Nokia Mobile Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Nokia has created a great software that makes it really easy to update your Nokia mobile phone. You are probably wondering why you should update the phone if everything is working as intended. This is actually a good question and I can't answer it for the phone that you are using.
Generally speaking a firmware update can add new functions and features to your mobile phone, can make it faster, update software so that you can run advanced applications or fix security holes. I'm not sure if there is an official Nokia website that lists release notes for current and previous firmwares of Nokia phones - I was not able to find it if it exists.
This means it is not really possible to determine the new features and improvements of the new firmware version. The only information about firmware updates was that they will improve performance and functionality. The update will update the operating system of your phone which includes applications like the Calendar, the Messenger and the Contact List.
Please note that it is not possible to downgrade the firmware of your Nokia phone once it was updated. Some applications and games from third-party developers might need to be installed again after updating the phone firmware. I suggest you take a look at the extensive FAQ on the Nokia website.
How to update a Nokia a Nokia Mobile Phone:
1. Download the Nokia PC Suite and backup all of the files on your phone
To do that simply start the Nokia PC Suite application and click on the Backup button. Make sure you save everything on that phone. This might take a while if you have lots of personal files like images or music stored on the phone. The files will be transfered with the Nokia Content Copier software.
Backup the contents in the Nokia phone as well. You find that option in Tools > Memory.
2. Download and install the Nokia Software Updater application which will be used to update the firmware of the Nokia phone. Please note that you have to use this software and can't use the Nokia PC Suite to update the mobile phone.
Make sure you connect the charger to your phone before you start the process because a failed update can brick your Nokia phone.
The update that I was downloading had a size of nearly 80 Megabytes and upgraded the firmware of my Nokia N73 Music Edition (RM-133) from 3.0638.0.0.30 to 4.0736.3.2.1 which I would consider a huge version leap.
The benefits:
I can't really tell what has been changed but the phone does seem a little bit more responsive. The only new application that did not seem there before is a Anti-Virus application. There is probably more and some definitely have been updated but I can't really tell without the release notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom