House Phone Question.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Is it Possible to actually get Power to a Land Line Telephone as in a regular house phone by your self. OLr do you need an operator to do this as in a service provider like B.T or Virgin.

Depends. If there's already a line going from the street to your house then yeah you could install cabling inside yourself, just like running ethernet cable for a PC.

If you don't have a line going to your house, then yes you'll need a tech to hook your house up.

If you mean can you make calls without signing up for BT or whatever, then no, not without bypassing a few things. You can call a set list of numbers including emergency number IIRC, but no normal numbers.

Do you really mean power (as in the five volt line power) or do you mean connectivity?
and if connectivity are you talking about external connectivity?

or are you thinking can I install a phone system inside my house so I can call other rooms without needing to involve BT etc (meaning without having to pay)?

Do you really mean power (as in the five volt line power) or do you mean connectivity?
and if connectivity are you talking about external connectivity?

or are you thinking can I install a phone system inside my house so I can call other rooms without needing to involve BT etc (meaning without having to pay)?

Depends. If there's already a line going from the street to your house then yeah you could install cabling inside yourself, just like running ethernet cable for a PC.

If you don't have a line going to your house, then yes you'll need a tech to hook your house up.

If you mean can you make calls without signing up for BT or whatever, then no, not without bypassing a few things. You can call a set list of numbers including emergency number IIRC, but no normal numbers.

Thanks for the reply Soul. Sorry I must of missed your reply I've just noticed after Root posted.

I'm not sure if I can get in too trouble for this but I recently had my Broadband cut off for not paying my bill on time. I had total disconnection of the BB service from my ISP. Thus then I figured out I can encrypt my Line using a VPN (The other Question Root you have answered) and by pass their restrictions and have internet access by changing my I.P Address with encryption.

What I meant was power as in Power the line up my self, run a VPN and not have to pay for a BB service provider and in the process probably go to jail. :omg: :lol:

I was just curious but yeah I can by pass with a VPN.

Last edited:
your gateway to the internet is provided by the ISP. (i.e you actually need to connect to the network, they'll have basically shutdown the port on their telco gear that you connect to)

Your public address is assigned by the ISP. and needs to be routable.

how do you expect to be able to establish a VPN without an endpoint?

the long answer is you have no physical connection to, the network, nor do you have the required addresses on the network or adequate routing to make it work, (you're missing layers 1, 2 and 3) in the OSI model)

Short answer is no. you will not be able to get onto the internet without connecting to some kind of service provider equipment.

Back
Top Bottom