hot spot

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
my brother e-mailed me from his cabin that is far enough out of town that they do not have internet. when i asked him how he e-mailed me, he said his wife's phone has a hot spot in it. i have heard of the term, but i have no idea how it works. can someone give me the basics on how it works please? Verizon is the carrier, if that makes a difference.

Basically the phone is able to broadcast its wireless data connection just like a wireless router or access point, becoming the router/modem for the connection. Some phones are capable natively, others require an app. Most carriers charge for it if they even allow it.

so it must have more broadcast power (or maybe a different type of band) than the phone part then correct. i have been to the cabin many times, and the only way to get cell service is to walk or drive to the top of the 175 foot or so hill that is directly behind his cabin. the hot spot was transmitting from the living room there.

Their phone may have better pickup than yours. The range is normally shorter than regular wifi.

It's the combination of the cell tower coverage as well as the phone itself. Even with the same carrier, verizon or whatever, the antenna in the phone makes a difference as well. I have a work cell as well as a personal cell, same carrier. One of them gets better reception than the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most carriers charge for it if they even allow it.

I remember reading about the verizon case wher they were fined for blocking apps to do this and charging extra. However, now that i read it again, i see this ruling only applies to Verizon due to what spectrum they are on. They also mention that most shared everything or similar plans now do not charge a extra fee for tethering. Yea, if you're looking for an app, you can search tethering.

Tethering apps must be allowed, FCC tells Verizon | Ars Technica

I remember reading about the verizon case wher they were fined for blocking apps to do this and charging extra. However, now that i read it again, i see this ruling only applies to Verizon due to what spectrum they are on. They also mention that most shared everything or similar plans now do not charge a extra fee for tethering. Yea, if you're looking for an app, you can search tethering.

Tethering apps must be allowed, FCC tells Verizon | Ars Technica

If you're on Verizon and using the LTE band, then you can only use tether if you're on their capped/tiered data plan. Unlimited users that were grandfathered in (like myself) technically are not supposed to tether.

Back
Top Bottom