Help with iphone purchase

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
Need some advice on buying my soon to be 14 year old daughter a B-day present- she wants an i-phone ( apparently no other smart phone will do) . If I purchase the phone - she will pay the monthly fees as neither I or my wife have a smart phone - so we currently have no data in the Verizon package. Question is= which one should I get her? Is there a huge difference in them? other than the Memory size? I don't use my phone for anything other than text and basic phone - I had a Zoom tablet , but I never used it - so cancelled the 4G data stuff. So I have no idea on the smart phone stuff.

Well as far as a teenager is concerned the most expensive one LOL, In reality it all depends on what she will be using the phone for, If you are familiar with the Ipod touch, The phone does everything that does plus has all the phone features so if she is really into music then more storage is better, If she is just a average user of music and won't have tons on her phone then the smaller storage one will still hold plenty of music. I still have a older Iphone (4GS) with 32 gigs of storage and I have almost 900 songs on it and it's only a little over half full. So find out what she wants to use it for and that will help decide what one will be good for her. The 5S is the fastest out of the 3 I see Verizon selling for $99 but for $50 they have the 5C which I believe is just a 5 with a new case, A little slower but still has the 16 gigs of storage. I would stay away from the 4S because it's getting harder to find accessories for it and uses the older charge cables which is also getting harder to find at a cheaper price and only comes in a 8 gig variant.

thanks - yes heard Walmart is having a huge sale on the i5s 16 GB for $99.

Contacted Verizon- my carrier. They have the c for $100, the S for 199. They wont offer insurance if I buy the phone elsewhere - any other retailer. 14 y.o. girl- yep need insurance. She will be paying for the $30 per month data (2gb) plus the $10 per month for the insurance. Can you get insurance for the phone from someone other than Verizon?

Last edited:
SquareTrade. They insure phones from major carriers for less than the "official" insurances from the carriers.

good to know - anybody have any experience with the 'Square trade insurance" for a phone?

Seeing as she is only 14 I would say that the iPhone 5c might be the best option. Not quite as expensive as the 5s and comes in some pretty cool colours. It also performs well. Steer clear of the 4s. It will age horribly over the next year and then she'll need to get a new one much sooner!

^ Yeah, a 5C would be more than adequate. Personally I'd get the Apple warranty since there are Apple stores all around Pittsburgh. Definitely worth the extra cost IMO because of how easy it is to work with Apple :tongue:

ok - for the 5c at Costco= $79 and the others including Verizon and Apple= $99.

insurance= ??

I got this chart from square trade ( not sure how it will look as I tried to copy and past it)

AT&T Verizon Sprint Best Buy SquareTrade
Price (over 24 months) $240 $240 $264 $199 $99
Deductible per claim $199 $199 $200 $149 $75
Covers any working phone, old or new NO NO NO NO YES
Reimbursement for Apple Genius Bar® repairs NO NO NO NO YES
Same day repair at any local service shop NO NO NO NO YES
Next-day replacement YES YES YES NO YES
Loss & Theft Protection YES YES YES NO NO

Basically as you can see no lost/stolen from apple or square trade.

Back
Top Bottom