Handheld mini internet device

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCxNub

Beta member
Hi, I am interested in building a mini pc for just the sole purpose of browsing the internet. Except I was hoping I could get it to be the size of a sony psp or apple iphone and have a good color lcd and a built in wifi card. Am I crazy here or is something like this possible? I was wondering could anyone tell me how feasible this is and if it is, is there any parts you could recommend?

Again, it would just be basically a lcd screen, processer, wifi card, battery, usb slots, and some memory probably on a flash stick with a small version of linux.

this doesnt sound like something you'd be able to build, unless you're really skilled. the microprocessors used in pda's and the iphone are not available commercially, i dont think... at least not widely.

thats sort of what I imagined....it would have to be some custom little thing in there. =\

If you have multiple degrees in computer engineering or something, feel free ;)

You'd most likely have to build your own mainboard, as I've never seen any that small.

i just read a few articles that said people have already taken apart the iphone and documented the parts used... maybe poke around on google for some ideas?

You'd have to engineer a lot of this yourself. You could just buy one, companiies like Sony, Samsung, and I think Asus make handheld mini pcs that run Windows XP Tablet Edition. I know Newegg carries a few if you want to check features/costs. I don't think it'd be worth the trouble and expense of building your own, but that's just me.

um, buy a psp? that's the only thing i actually use my psp for is web browsing, get a 2gig stick, it has a color lcd, built in wifi, all the goodies, just no usb ports.

The upper-end PocketPC's and Palm's have all of that...with the exception of the USB plugs. Then again, that's what a 4GB - 8GB SD/CF card is for. ;)

However, if you do decide to be an engineer, you might as well market it as you'll be spending a hefty amount of time / and likely money, on trying to create such a device.

um, buy a psp? that's the only thing i actually use my psp for is web browsing, get a 2gig stick, it has a color lcd, built in wifi, all the goodies, just no usb ports.

Yea the psp seems great and thats sort of the product that I wish I could imitate just without the need for the games. Now I am not an engineer so building something of that commercial quality is very difficult and probably not very cost effective. I'm just curious though, does anyone know if one can buy a LCD replacement screen like ones I see selling on eBay and somehow adapt it to plug into a regular computer.

Heres one on eBay for example. eBay: NEW SONY PSP SHARP LCD SCREEN W/ BACKLIGHT REPAIR PARTS (item 250138604554 end time Jul-03-07 15:15:00 PDT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom