good mini camcorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fryc86

In Runtime
I don't know if this belongs here, but I'm trying to find a good mini camcorder. Nothing fancy. Just something relatively inexpensive but at least decent quality. Just something I can shoot (like a video blog entry or when I'm out and about), that will fit in a pocket and can easily upload to the computer. I'm looking at the Flip Mino or the Creative Vado. I like the first better but obviously its more expensive. Is it better, or is there something even better that I'm not considering? thanks

Both flip and vado seem okay but out of these two I'd get the Vado,as it is
-cheaper
-records 2 hours and not just one hour
-comes from the brand I know for really good desktop webcams
- is supported (there is a new firmware out that improves colors while with the flip expect no support)
Checked clips uploaded to youtube and both flip and vado output similar quality video, no surprise as their specs are pretty identical. In real world a lot depends on light and both cams do not handle huge contrasts well. As for other pocket cams there are a few models from RCA, modestly called "Small Wonder". On some videos I saw they seem to have better video quality compared to the Flip and the Vado, but not always. But no rechargable batteries only two regular AAs, not practical.

Sanyo Xacti is probably the best but it is a different price league.

I'll bump an old one to keep all news in oner thread:
Sanyo just announced new models for their xacti line - from $600 to $200.
The top end one has true 1080P recording but not sure I would spend 600 bucks on a pocket cam. The low end ones might look interesting though - if they are as good as the Vado HD, that is.

Search videos for 'Vado HD' on Vimeo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom