Future battery backwards compatibility?

future

Beta member
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows whether battery technologies of the future will be backwards compatible with existing smartphones? I know by the time battery technology advances that our current smartphones will be obsolete and many don't even have removable batteries, but I was just wondering if you might be able to swap a new battery into old phones. Or, are smartphones today designed ONLY for lithium-ion connectors/technology? Personally, I love my Galaxy S4 and it already is obsolete in terms of being limited to Lollipop but the device itself should last for years or decades and the screen is gorgeous. The market for such batteries in the future might be so limited that no one will manufacture them.

Anyway, thanks for any info you might have.

All depends on the voltage/size/etc. that new batteries will use. Since they're future technologies...we don't have anyway of knowing - unless you have a time machine ;).

Thanks for the reply.

Since I am a layman about most technologies, then the actual physical connectors that the battery uses to power the phone are irrelevant to the lithium-ion technology? In theory, you could create future batteries built for specific old smartphones and not have to change the physical device itself?

The physical connections can be changed, as it's just usually 2 wires coming out of the battery to the power board. Some devices directly solder the battery's leads to the board.

Okay, thanks carnageX. From your post count and join date, I can tell you are a dedicated enthusiast! I hope in the future all of our lithium-ion powered devices won't become obsolete. Maybe I'm just being prematurely nostalgic but it seems like an awful waste with so many billions of mobile devices becoming virtually useless in 5 - 10 years time.

Back
Top Bottom