Full android backup and restore ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I am not sure if this is possible, but I am looking for a way to do a full complete backup and restore of the android OS. By full backup I mean basically an entire image of the OS, apps, settings, config and so on.

The reason I ask is I have to set up 10 to 20 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablets at work each week. There are about 10 in house programs that need installing, so I currently drag the APK files across from a PC and install them. And then they are all set up the same, so they have shortcuts to all the apps on the home page, the email widget, and a clock widget. We then change a few things in the settings menu and then box it back up and give them out. The whole process takes about 30 or 40 minutes per tablet, it's really painful.

Hence my question. If there was a way to capture all data, settings, screen layouts and so on in an image file and then just restore it to each tablet without having to do much manually that would be incredibly useful.

Any ideas ?

Install Custom recovery (requires you to unlock the bootloaders of each device... usually there's an AIO tool for most devices where you just plug it in / click "unlock bootloader / install recovery" and it does it for you) -> Create a backup image -> Flash the image

Note that you may have to change the Android ID's of the devices (I know Titanium Backup can do this). Not sure how it would react though if you flash an image from one device onto another device. Usually it's not recommended, unless you change the Android ID later, after the restore.

Or you could build your own ROM that has your customizations, and push it out that way :p.

Install Custom recovery (requires you to unlock the bootloaders of each device... usually there's an AIO tool for most devices where you just plug it in / click "unlock bootloader / install recovery" and it does it for you) -> Create a backup image -> Flash the image

Note that you may have to change the Android ID's of the devices (I know Titanium Backup can do this). Not sure how it would react though if you flash an image from one device onto another device. Usually it's not recommended, unless you change the Android ID later, after the restore.

Or you could build your own ROM that has your customizations, and push it out that way :p.

Hmm... okay thanks. I don't think tablets are really designed for enterprise rollout at the moment. There isn't really anyway you can just plug them in and build them with a base corporate image with just a few clicks.

Not with Android tablets, at least. There's ways to manage them from an enterprise perspective, when they're running.

Not quite the backup solution Kman was looking for; Helium looks like it's more just apps from the cloud - not a full image restore.

I don't think so. They're saying it's like titanium. I wanted to use it because it doesn't need root. With Helium you're not getting the OS, but I'd think you're getting everything else. Maybe use clockwork mod to create a base image? You may need something custom for that particular model.

quoted from titanium website (Helium website lacks detailed specs)

Features of the Free version:
•No ads, no time limit
•Very fast app listing (~1 second for 300 apps)
•Sort apps by name / last backup / backup frequency
•Filter apps by name / type / status / Apps Organizer labels (also affects Batch operations)
•Backup/restore regular apps + their settings
•Backup/restore protected apps + their settings
•Backup/restore system apps + their settings (incl. Wi-Fi AP list)
•Backup/restore external app data
•Restores the Market links when restoring apps
•Zero-click background batch backup
•Interactive batch restore
•Many batch scenarios (eg: if more than N days since last backup, etc)
•Zero-click app un-installer
•Zero-click system app un-installer
•Move app to/from SD card
•Move app data to/from SD card (needs ext2/3/4 partition)
•Batch action widgets
•Quick reboot widgets
•A single weekly or biweekly scheduled backup
•User-defined apps lists with filtering, coloring and scheduling support
•Built-in Android Market information viewer (Android 2.0+)
•Ability to remove orphan app data

I don't think so. They're saying it's like titanium. I wanted to use it because it doesn't need root. With Helium you're not getting the OS, but I'd think you're getting everything else. Maybe use clockwork mod to create a base image? You may need something custom for that particular model.

Wow not sure why I said "from the cloud" lol. I meant Helium backs up apps like TiBu.

But yes like I said, Kman would need a custom recovery to make images but then also runs into the issue I mentioned previously about the Android ID's being duplicated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom