Is this ethical to any of you? @ prepaid phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
This is not like my last topic, asking about prepaid phone providers. My mind is about made up, but am I really saving money here?

I use my phone very casually. I maybe use it 10 times a month to give a call or text. I may one day use it more, who knows?

Currently, I use VirginMobile, have been with them for several years now. I ran into a big problem with them 2.5 months ago, I lost ~$30 on my phone due to things i never signed up for. They couldn't refund my money. Then a few weeks later, I'm paying for games I never bought. Those they could refund my money on. Haven't had a problem since. But I hate their rates.

At least $20 per 90 days
Call 20¢/min
Texting 15¢/message to send & receive
Web $1.25/MB

I thought that was a good deal, no contract, lower in cost than the big boys. Until I looked at BoostMobile.

:omg: Their Pay as you go plan:

At least $20 per 90 days
Nationwide Calling 10¢/min
Text 10¢/message to send & receive
Multi-Media Messaging 25¢/message to send & receive
Web 35¢/day unlimited usage
Instant Messaging 99¢/day unlimited usage
E-mail 99¢/day unlimited usage

Now, as I understand it, that "day unlimited usage" means that on days you use it, you pay .35, and it lasts all day, until 12:01AM. Now that is a nice feature! Also IM and E-mail. Lower call and text rates. Can now do multimedia messaging with pictures, sound and video.

From what I saw, Virgin phones were cheaply made. Now these Boost phones, they look nice. I'm looking at the Sanyo Juno. I always liked Querty phones, but I never liked any of the Virgin phones. I actually tried out at a Target store, the Virgin Qwerty phones and the Boost phone I linked above. The Boost phones looked and felt better. I'm just on a basic phone with Virgin atm, the LG Flare.

Price of the phones are so close in comparison, that it is not a factor here. The quality, however, is not.

So, does it seem, to you, that Boost is the way to go?

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to be thorough to get my point across the playing field. ;)

To be honest I am in the dark when it comes to US telecoms providers (apart from you guys using cdma) but Virgin Mobile in the UK is awful, expensive and unreliable and this is coming from some one who loves there Broadband service.

IIRC, VirginMobile started in the UK, but traveled over to the states. Much like Columbus. :p

But the money difference is mostly what I am looking at.

As long as there is decent coverage for Boost in your area, i see no reason not to go with it once your time runs out on Virgin.

Thanks Mak. In southeast Wisconsin, it is fine. Just up in north and west of Green Bay, it doesn't have great coverage. But we rarely go up there.

My sister goes through Boostmobile (Sprint) she has a data prepay plan for $50 a month, great service, great phone, unlimited talk, text, web, and so on, there are no limits what so ever, and it's only $50 a month, and it's no-contract prepay, which is a great thing.

Yes, I know all that. Did my homework. I am looking at the Pay as you go plan, as I'm not made of money right now. You can always change your plan. Shrinkage is nice, too.

Either of those seems better then my $120 a month smartphone plan :-/

Looks like I should switch jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom