Cracked screen on my new HTC Droid Incredible (BUT IT IS GOOD NEWS!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzt

Fully Optimized
My friend had a Droid Incredible for a while now and dropped it over the winter break. Apparently these awesome phones break easily.
He got a new one somehow (either bought it or maybe they gave him a new one) and he gave me the one with the cracked screen!
I got my dad a moto droid last year, but other then that I have never owned a smartphone because of the data plan.

So now I have this still working phone:
309ikp2.jpg

I have wifi everywhere I go pretty much so I don't really need mobile internet. I think I might be able to get verizon to let me transfer my current "dumb" phone over to this one so I can have one phone to rule them all. Otherwise it will just be my little mini tablet I guess. (ipod touch android version if you prefer)

But about the cracked screen.
I am gonna use this to hopefully repair it (I made an offer for $15 and he lowered it to $20). I also ordered a cheap case and screen protector. All together about $30.

Here is a video demonstrating the current state of the phone:

Just a small warning. I am playing a song from southpark in the video... it contains some mild cursing. Please turn the volume off on the video if that offends you. I put it in the video to make my friend laugh.
YouTube - Cracked screen HTC Droid Incredible (Still Works)

If anyone is interested I will post back with the results of my fix when the stuff arrives.

:)

lol, screen protector seems a bit redundant at this point don'chya think? :p

Just watched your video. I couldn't have guessed those things work even when broken. I mean how does it still detect movement from the touchscreen?
I would say you could even keep it as it is, but I see the repair cost is not so high.

I've cracked the digitizer on my iPod Touch twice. Both times it worked but it is a huge pain replacing it.

Fixed it, I'll post some pictures when I have time and the right lighting I guess.

I have some advice for anyone attempting the fix. Get adhesive that has the right thickness. Don't worry about buying a $20 screen off of ebay, most are the same as OEM's direct from HTC or Verizon (or better). Patience... Try using tape to gently slide the ribbon cables in and out (i find that works best). Using packing tape on the front of the screen when removing the cracked glass, it will make it less messy. Patience...

I am sort of writing up a bigger article thingy later. The repair went pretty good, the screen sticks out very very very little, but still not 100% stock perfect. But right now I am enjoying my little tablet toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom