Could you invent something for droid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirishere1

Beta member
I have an invention idea for droid phones. Actually, it would be for all phones, but it would be easier if it were not an app. and it was something permanent in all phones. Is there a way to go about inventing something that would be a permanent part of the droid software without it being an actual app.?

Well, Google allows you to send them ideas (preferably the code to do it, and where to insert it in the OS) and they will test them and throw them in the nest OS update. But I would make the app first, get it popular (just so it catches Google's eye) and then send it off for them to possibly throw in the next update. And I completely understand if you don't want to tell what your idea is, but if you don't could you sorta share or just give some sort of idea of what you would like to do?

I can't say what the idea is. But would you be able to sell them the idea? I'm not doing this for free haha.

Since Android is open source and in order for it to be included in all phones it would have to be tested on all versions of Android, pass inspection with all device manufacturers and carriers, it would be a very hard task to just say that it will be easy to implement for all phones and be installed by default.

I can see why you dont want to say, but in all honesty, it also has to be something that can be removed or opted out from as well. While it may seem like a great idea to you, that doesnt mean that the ever growing user base of Android users will feel the same way. With the extent of Android Market apps growing are you sure that this idea is already out there? Have you checked sites like XDA and Android Central to make sure that someone isnt already developing such an App?

Your best bet will be to develop it as an App and offer it up for sale. There is no way you can be sure that it is something that everyone would want. Not to mention passing Google, Device Manufacturer and Carriers is a task all on its own. Trying to get past AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, Boost and all the others, just in the States alone is a huge task. Just look how long it has taken Samsung to push out Gingerbread onto its devices. Trying to get something included in all devices is a major task. You will have to contact Samsung, Google, Motorola, Nexus just to name a few to see if they would even be willing to listen to such an idea of including such software.

If you would rather not make it an "app" you could always make your own ROM, and have people donate to help you out... You'd be surprised at how many people will donate to a dev if they think the ROM is worth it. But that said, you'll probably have more luck at your idea just being an app and selling it on the market (or do it for free, and ask for donations, or offer a trial version, etc).

It is possisble, that's how custom kernels are made. But that wouldn't really be for the software aspect of what he wants... that's communicating with the device's hardware and how the underlying features of the Android OS operate.

In the end it doesnt matter if he builds his own version of Android or not. If he doesnt get it to the Manufacturer's and to the Carriers for their approval, it will never be on any device. Aside from the ones that install his custom built version. So even if he could compile and work with the Source Code, it will not get him to the end result he wants. That will only be done by contacting every manufacturer and carrier.

No but its a step to get it working correctly. Either way, working with the kernel isn't what he should be doing for his goal unless he's doing mainly hardware-related things (and since the OP hasn't said what he's doing, I wanted to bring this to his attention). He will want to work with the Android OS and learn the coding language for coding apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom