Comparision of 199 tablets - cnet

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
Nexus 7 vs. Kindle Fire vs. Nook Tablet Battle of the $199 tablets Android Atlas - CNET Reviews

I handled a kindle fire before. a person i know won it as a door prize. The ui is unique to the product. I've read other shortcomings such as no expandable storage or volume rocker.

The nexus 7 sounds really cool. faster hardware to make actions smoother. ...but still no dang expandable memory.

nook 2 has expandable memory and im surprised that more ppl are buying the fire.

The Kindle Fire is junk. Using the Amazon AppStore for everything is useless as not all Android Apps go through the Amazon store. I know of several developers that have vowed to never again work with Amazon after getting slighted on the "Free App of the Day" deal. Developers are losing all of those profits from that day and Amazon is not doing anything to help them.

The Nexus 7 will be the best only cause it is pure Android. No better Android Tablet out there than one designed and created by the people who created the OS. Expandable storage may seem like a major hinderance, but seriously think about it. How much of your 16GB phone have you truly filled? Having been a person who had a Tablet previously, I can honestly tell you that unless you are using it as your Media Center and not streaming, then you will not reach your limit on space.

The Nook 2, meh. Based off of Barnes and Noble and after their deal with Microsoft recently, I wouldnt be surprised to see this one fall flat.

I wouldn't say the KF is junk ;) I love mine.. Although I haven't ran on the stock OS since maybe a week after I bought it. Running a CM9 build and it's as smooth as butter.

The Kindle Fire is junk. Using the Amazon AppStore for everything is useless as not all Android Apps go through the Amazon store. I know of several developers that have vowed to never again work with Amazon after getting slighted on the "Free App of the Day" deal. Developers are losing all of those profits from that day and Amazon is not doing anything to help them.

The Nexus 7 will be the best only cause it is pure Android. No better Android Tablet out there than one designed and created by the people who created the OS. Expandable storage may seem like a major hinderance, but seriously think about it. How much of your 16GB phone have you truly filled? Having been a person who had a Tablet previously, I can honestly tell you that unless you are using it as your Media Center and not streaming, then you will not reach your limit on space.

The Nook 2, meh. Based off of Barnes and Noble and after their deal with Microsoft recently, I wouldnt be surprised to see this one fall flat.

+1

The Amazon App Store is not very developer friendly and doesn't have the same quality of apps you can get from the Play Store.

If decent tablets stay around the $200 mark I might just buy one... I know PS3 Media Server is capable of streaming to most tablets these days... :)

You could just set up a fileshare and stream that way through ES File Explorer or something. Easier IMO :tongue:

I wouldn't say the KF is junk ;) I love mine.. Although I haven't ran on the stock OS since maybe a week after I bought it. Running a CM9 build and it's as smooth as butter.

Well that is why you love yours. You have it with CM9. Basically you hacked your into a Nexus 7. :p But I know plenty of people who hate the KF with the stock ROM.

You could just set up a fileshare and stream that way through ES File Explorer or something. Easier IMO :tongue:

Depends on the OS in use. For me I have a PS3 Media Streamer for Ubuntu. It works flawlessly. So for me setting up something else wouldnt be worth it. Within Windows I use PlayOn as they have an Android app that I can use to stream from my PC. Since I got in early with PlayOn I have a lifetime license and dont have to worry about the monthly charges that they have now.

I personally NEED expandable storage on a device like this that is under 32gb. So unfortunately neither the knidle fire and the nexus tablet are for me even though the hardware is amazing for the price on the nexus. Currently I have a samsung galaxy player 5.0 that has 8gb built in and of that only 5.6gb is left over for the user. I do have a 16gb sd card to bump it up to 24gb though.

What I am getting at here is it will probably be the same on the nexus since the os needs some space too. If they made a 32gb model and a 64gb model then yes I would jump on this sweet deal right away even if the 32 and 64 were like 280$ and 320$ or something like that

I personally NEED expandable storage on a device like this that is under 32gb. So unfortunately neither the knidle fire and the nexus tablet are for me even though the hardware is amazing for the price on the nexus. Currently I have a samsung galaxy player 5.0 that has 8gb built in and of that only 5.6gb is left over for the user. I do have a 16gb sd card to bump it up to 24gb though.

What I am getting at here is it will probably be the same on the nexus since the os needs some space too. If they made a 32gb model and a 64gb model then yes I would jump on this sweet deal right away even if the 32 and 64 were like 280$ and 320$ or something like that

You dont need. You want. Cause you want to store more stuff on there than can be held by the 8GB or 16GB models. I have owned a 16GB Tablet as well as having expandable storage. I used it as my daily web device for everything online. I still barely got 10GB worth of data on that thing.

Now that is not with loading up the millions of pictures and thousands of songs. Cause lets face it, it is a Tablet, not a phone and not an MP3 player. So there is no need to store that stuff on there. You can stream it just fine and not take up a single GB of data. I know this, cause I have personally done it. Uploaded well over 20GB worth of music to my Google Play Music account and streamed it without using any space. That is most certainly an option for those that want music. Since these are not Moible Data devices, doing it all via WiFi and using Play Music is an option.

Sorry but there are ways around this. You just have to find them. You dont want to and say you need a larger device when I clearly show how you can do with what is offered and not need something more. If you can use more than 32GB of storage and it isnt photos or music, then what the hell is it? Cause I barely have 10GB of documents stored up from 25+ years of computer use.

It's jsut that I spend a lot of time on long road trips and store a lot of videos and have no internet access in that time. A thing that would make the nexus ideal is the usb charging meaning it can be charged in the car with a typical usb charger. charging over usb is something that I want to see more on tablets.

Back
Top Bottom