Choosing Between Phone and Computer for Internet Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICKYPETUNIA

Baseband Member
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out which works the best:

-traditionally using a computer and buying cable to buy internet to get connection..... OR
-using my android phone with hdmi output and hook it up with the special cable to see my phone internet screens on a tv screen, requiring no price for cable
and / or internet and letting this be my internet computer

Here's why I pause to question the phone idea:
1. Externally: e.g. i don't know if my phone would overheat any more than when i use the web on it anyway
2. Internally: e.g. since the phone would then be my computer, I would need to give it MAXIMUM security against any threats and internet security****** <------ this
is what I am most concerned about.

I've read up on bullgaurd, but is that good enough, as great as kaspersky, or is it a worse idea to use the phone at all instead of cable and internet? (i like kaspersky, but it doesn't have full coverage for androids.)

I really would like to make the phone idea work. I just want to know if there are any flaws with it that anybody might see and that i'm not seeing right now.

Thanks for your kind and helpful input.

Re: Choosing Between Phone and Computer for Interent Power

Well most phones have data limits, depends on how much you use it.
Also your phone will be limited, if you wanted to properly download things it could be problematic - the limitations of your phone providor would apply, where as with a PC you have more control.

and yes, malware is around for phones. Alot of it. infact people are shocked, BBC thinks its newsworthy, idiots lol.

oh yes, no flash on a phone. If you ever wanted to stream stuff

Actually Sheepy, Android has flash..

Picky.. What phone model? My Nexus has the ability to act as a 4 port wifi router. I can run my computer through my phone using its data plan.

As sheepy said, your phone plan needs to be checked

The phone would be the motorola photon 4g from sprint flashed to boost mobile to use their unlimited data android plan. What do you think? I talked to a technician today. He said that since smartphones are just beginning to have what computers get in regards to malware, viruses, etc., it might be better to stick with a computer - that computers are better known territories that we know how to combat. I still wonder though.... Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Look into the hotspot mode on your phone. It can be your router, inwhich you use yiour comnputer through it via wifi.

Just like if you had regular at home connection via cable or dsl

I say go with the cell in hotspot mode.

Another thing to consider is this. How fast is your Boost connection anyways? Mobile networks are no where near as fast as an ISP. Even having 4G, which Boost doesnt have BTW, the connection is still not as fast as my cable provided by Road Runner. So having a Photon 4G would be pointless, since you cant use 4G on a network that doesnt support it. So you would be stuck on 3G speeds anyways. Which would still be less than what you would have through a provider.

So yeah while you can save some money doing this, I highly doubt that the Boost network will work to stream as much content as you would want to watch.

/looks down disappointedly at his HTC....

buh...

Flash is supported on Android 2.2 and higher. Netflix is out for most devices now as well as the ability to use Hulu and Vudu as well. Might not have Froyo that uses Flash. ;)

Thanks, patonb! It's good to hear the positives of that side.

And although some may think it's pointless to use this phone and boost, i don't. 4g is not the point at all. The point is that this is a great phone AND it has hdmi to help with cable-internet costs. I really don't care whether it's 3g or 4g. I'm used to my 3g slide and its speed. I'm concerned about the security aspect! BTW, it is Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread and has flash.

There is no security aspect if yo do it by how i suggested. The phone is just a modem, and has no interaction with the data flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom