Cell Phone Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
I want a touchscreen or any phone with a QWERTY keyboard.

I've got an upgrade with AT&T but if there was a good one I could buy unlocked I would go with that.

Obviously I want an iPhone or a Storm, but Storm is Verizon and I guess I can't get an iPhone with an upgrade....

How do I get an iPhone from AT&T?

Also, does the LG Vu compare at all to the iPhone? I wouldn't mind spending up to $200, but much more than that is kind of ridiculous. I don't really want to get a Data plan either, I just want a QWERTY for texting and Wifi at home would be enough for me.

Well, with the iPhone, any store that sells it is going to make you have the data plan. I don't think there's any way to take it off, there's something in the contract about it or something.

The Vu compares to the iPhone somewhat. We've sold a few of them, people seem to like them alright. The screen isn't as big, and the OS is a little different. I personally like the iPhone better, but you know.

I also would recommend the LG Incite. It's on sale right now at AT&T stores everywhere, as far as I know. 200 bucks with 100 dollar mail in rebate if you get the data plan. But either way, 200 bucks isn't bad for it. Touchscreen PDA (no keyboard, but full touchscreen) using Windows Mobile, 3mp camera, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, the Blackberry Curve 8320 was recently released on the AT&T network and it has the WiFi capability and full QWERTY keypad. AT&T will make you get the blackberry data package in order to qualify for the rebates/promotion price. If you don't get it you'll have to pay almost full price, you have an upgrade which makes it a tad cheaper.

I bought my 8310 from RadioShack. I'm like you and don't need the data package, I asked if I HAD to get the data plan in order to qualify for the promo price and the salesperson said no. I got it for $80+tax. Because the 8320 is a newer phone on the network, it will most certainly be more $$.

I love AT&T but I don't like some of things they make you do in order to qualify for rebates etc. I know the salespeople make their money off of selling plans, not the phones. So it only makes sense to require the plans in order to get the phone for cheap.

**No offense to anyone who works at AT&T, you are just doing your job and following rules. It's just my personal 'grrrr' factor with them.**

HTC TOUCH PRO, it can do everything the iphone can, and more...it has a touchscreen keyboard AND a hardware keyboard

I do not reccomend the the LG incite its almost impossbile to text QWERTY without the stylus. I do reccomend the tilt/fuze. Both of the phones are easy to upgrade the OS and you have numerous features, wifi,gps, 3mp camera, INSURANCE. The iphone can not be insured. Meaning if you drop it, and/or it gets damaged you are forced to pay outright on your replacement phone. The iphone is a nice product though. The VU is a pretty popular phone that was on national backorder for about 2 months in 2008. Right now it is 100 dollar s with a 50 dollar mail in rebate so it is the cheapest of the bunch. However the VU is not that feature heavy, no wifi, no gps. A few other phones you should look into, Blackberry Bold, 8320, samsung i907 (touch screen blackjack with gps and wifi), and also the samsung eternity
Another thing to note all of the phones you listed besides the LG vu require a 30 dollar or higher data package to receive your MIR. If the tilt/fuze/incite/eternity are on a individual plan you can still get the MIR if you have individual UNL texting (20.00)

Say I want an iPhone and I am already an AT&T customer, how do I get one? I tried on their website but the $199 and $299 iPhones are only for new customers.....I have to pay full retail for one?

I am just curious on that BTW, I probably won't get it.

I have looked at the HTC Touch and Fuze, both look very nice. Do you have the touch AP4LIFETN? Which kind of keyboards do you prefer, touchscreen or the hardware keyboard?

i think your contract has to be up to get the iphone, if not you pay retail.

i have the fuze, its a great phone, the touchscreen keyboard isn't as big as the iphone so its harder to type on, i use the hardware keyboard. It is a bit harder to use then the iphone, but you can actually mod it, tweak it, do anything you want to it to suit your likings.

If you want something easy, get the iphone, but the fuze has much more potential, not to mention a 640x480 resolution screen.

for more information, check out this forum
Raphael - xda-developers

You can get an iPhone with an upgrade, renewing your contract for two years. But you have to be eligible to upgrade. Generally, it's about 18 months into your contract that you are eligible. I'm not sure what AT&T is doing on the website, but going to any store that has them, as long as you are eligible for upgrade, well yield the 199 and 299 prices.

As for the comment on the Incite, I do realize that it's easier to use the Fuze keyboard, but my point was the Incite is on super clearance at the moment, basically. 200 bucks without a rebate? The Fuze is more like 400 bucks. The Incite still is a good phone, and since it's a PDA, the stylus is somewhat of a necessity anyway.

The 8320 Curve nixed the GPS for WiFi, but it's still a good phone. And you only have to get the data plan for the rebate, not for the 2-year promotional cost. Full retail, the phone is at least 400 bucks, probably more, while without rebate, it's probably closer to 200.

As for the making money thing, the rebate forms are sent to us directly from AT&T. They are the ones that require the data package, not us. As an individual salesperson, as long as I meet my minimum sales goal, I make more money on phones than features. It's our district manager and all the head honchos that berate us about features. But the logic is why are you going to pick up a PDA if you aren't going to use the internet at all? Internet kinda unlocks the potential of most of the PDAs. So while AT&T is trying to keep up with the cost of running the network, that's where features come in, hence the mail-in rebate. They figure that someone getting a PDA would be getting a data package anyway.

I have the HTC Diamond with sprint at the moment and while this model doesn't have a full QWERTY keyboard, the Pro version does. I love the phone, it does everything I need it to do, and win mobile is fun to play about with as its my first smart phone. All in all I highly reccommend the HTC Diamond Pro its a really great phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom