CDMA to Sim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can always try BitPim...not sure if it can read/write to SIM cards or not, but that's how I get all of my free ringtones :p.

In short, what I understand is that he wants to use a CDMA phone on a GSM network.

Couple reasons why:

1. CDMA and GSM work on different frequencies, kind of like trying to use a cell phone on WIFI

2. CDMA stores all of the phone number information with the carrier (not on phone, all phone holds is a serial number for registration with the towers), while GSM stores all of the info, the serial numbers, phone number, etc. on the sim card.

However, if you would like to transfer all of your ringtones, etc... From the Verizon razr to a different phone, it can be managed.

The ringtones, pictures, etc... Are simple, just files.

The phonebook, on the other hand is a different story. A CDMA phone stores the phonebook in a different file format than a GSM phone, so you would have to extract the phonebook from the CDMA phone, extract the contents, and save the contents as a GSM phonebook file.

Look into these sites; they have some useful resources, plus a completely dedicated phone forum.

[link removed because the site is inactive]
ModMyMoto.com

And any questions about the Verizon razr (v3m, v3c) or tmobile razr (v3r, v3i) or att/cingular (v3r, v3t), I can probably answer, I have been modding (either hard or soft modding) for the past three years now and have become pretty skilled with them. It's very simple, I swear the hardest part is connecting the damned things to the pc, there is always some sort of driver problem, or you have to switch the phone into a different data protocol mode.

oh ok, so at i was in the ballpark. heres one reason why. the two standards opperate on different frequencies. here is gsm:

GSM850/900mhz
GSM1800/1900mhz

here is cdma:

450 MHz, 700 MHz, 800 MHz, 900 MHz, 1700 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz, and 2100 MHz.

now in theory, because of the wide frequency support, one would think that it would be possible to use a gsm phone on a cdma network, but the authentication methods are entirely different.

on a gsm network, they check the sim card, and pull up a number
on a cdma network, they check the serial number and compare it to their database to get your number.

on a gsm network, the serial numbers for the phones can change drastically and go from something like BGFJ37HYNMFO, to HF84 (they are not the same length) while on a cdma network, they are all the same length like J49GJN48HY or 84U8RHFIKE (not the same numbers or layout) but the lengths are different. the two standards are incompatible

I dont see how you could transfer files from the internal memory stored within a cdma based phone to a sim card. You may be able to do it using some sort of transfer cord or maybe loading the info onto a comp and loading the info copied to the comp to the phone.. Also if your old phone has a micro sd slot and your new phone has a micro sd slot you could use that. btw I work for vzw :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom