browser?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
on my Samsung android phone, any time i want to go online to look something up, it asks me if i want to use "Browser" or "Chrome". so what is this "Browser"? meaning, what browser is it? IE? also, i have downloaded and installed Firefox, is there a way to set Firefox as my default browser?
I have to admit i am using the internet portion of my phone a LOT more than i thought i would. thankfully, all of it so far has been at home where it is run thru our wi fi and not using data from the phone carrier. it took me forever to get a "smart phone". i am taking to it like a duck to water. which actually surprises me a lot.

"Browser" is the default Android browser, basically Android's IE. :p

You should be able to go into Settings > Apps and clear the defaults for the browser(s). If I am thinking correctly then it should give you the option the next time you click a link and you can hit "Always" and then FF.

If you are on Straight Talk you should have 3GB of data per month. If you should happen to hit the 3GB cap your internet speed is slashed for the rest of your billing period but you will not be charged any extra.

I prefer to do serious computing/browsing on my desktop but I really enjoy the freedom and convenience of having a smartphone. Once you become comfortable and are ready to upgrade you can order SIM cards through Straight Talk that use the AT&T network or T-mobile's network so that you can use an unlocked GSM phone through Straight Talk. I used several while I was with ST using their AT&T SIM, and was even able to get 4G LTE with it. The monthly cost is the same once you buy the SIM, plus all you have to do it pop it out of one phone and pop it in another and away you go.

Smack! I just checked Walmart's page and you can order ST SIMs for 99 cents right now. That's for any size (mini, micro, nano) and either carrier. Might be worth springing a buck and future-proofing yourself as there is no shipping if you have it sent to the store.

thanks! after going into the app management, and disabled both the standard browser and chrome. it now has no choice on which to use. i tried going online, and it worked seamlessly. / i am on super cheap trac phon. i am not sure if this takes a sim card, only because i did not have to install one when i unboxed or set it up. i can not take a photo of the back of the phone, because my digital camera died, so the only thing i can take photos with is the phone. but it makes sense that it would, seeing that other companies use the same phone. i like the idea of future proofing, so i will spend the $1.00 for a sim card. if i never use it, i have thrown a lot more money away than that on less useful items. when you have kids, they beg to throw money away like it is going out of style. // if i understand it correctly, on trac fone's $20.00 every 90 day plan, i get a whopping 3mb of data to use. which is for all intensive purposes, nothing. the only good thing about it is it does roll over, so after a long period of time, there will be enough to use for an emergency. i am going to buy a $20.00 data card to activate to use in the case i am stuck away from home, and HAVE to use data. if all else fails, there is always free wi fi at fast food restaurants. but those are unsecured. so i seldom use them.

thanks! after going into the app management, and disabled both the standard browser and chrome. it now has no choice on which to use. i tried going online, and it worked seamlessly. / i am on super cheap trac phon. i am not sure if this takes a sim card, only because i did not have to install one when i unboxed or set it up. i can not take a photo of the back of the phone, because my digital camera died, so the only thing i can take photos with is the phone. but it makes sense that it would, seeing that other companies use the same phone. i like the idea of future proofing, so i will spend the $1.00 for a sim card. if i never use it, i have thrown a lot more money away than that on less useful items. when you have kids, they beg to throw money away like it is going out of style. // if i understand it correctly, on trac fone's $20.00 every 90 day plan, i get a whopping 3mb of data to use. which is for all intensive purposes, nothing. the only good thing about it is it does roll over, so after a long period of time, there will be enough to use for an emergency. i am going to buy a $20.00 data card to activate to use in the case i am stuck away from home, and HAVE to use data. if all else fails, there is always free wi fi at fast food restaurants. but those are unsecured. so i seldom use them.

3MB of data is miniscule, I could use that on one webpage with a few images on it!

I'm in the UK and I pay £10 a month. For that I get:
2000 minutes
Unlimited text messages
4GB internet/data

That is roughly $15.00 month in U.S Dollars. i have read that the good ol USA is way behind the global standards in cell and internet service. both in value and speed. but I am likely to never find out first hand, as overseas travel is way out of my financial possibilities. that being said, i am not sure there are many countries i would even feel safe in being an American. Great Britton is one of a few that i would feel safe in. anyway, the "condition" here is simply a matter of $. our entire economy has boiled down to seeing who can fleece as much cash out of our pockets as possible. the communication companies are raking in billions of dollars doing so, so there is little incentive for them to upgrade their services, or value. and they likely have much political clout (ie bribing the right officials), keeping any foreign inverstors out of the country.
cleardot.gif

I suppose due to the sheer size of the US it's difficult for communications companies to get good coverage, it's difficult enough keeping infrastructure in your own home up to date, they've got to do it for an entire country!

Though I wouldn't advise moving to a different country to improve your internet speed... lol!

I suppose due to the sheer size of the US it's difficult for communications companies to get good coverage, it's difficult enough keeping infrastructure in your own home up to date, they've got to do it for an entire country!

Though I wouldn't advise moving to a different country to improve your internet speed... lol!

To be fair though, there are a lot more areas in the US that you wouldn't expect to get cell coverage, like the middle of the desert/mountains. Once you remove those areas the US population is still less dense than ours, but not that much less dense.

The main reason their cell coverage, speeds, and support tend to be worse than ours is that the companies are just really, really, awful.

[QUOTE ] The main reason their cell coverage, speeds, and support tend to be worse than ours is that the companies are just really, really, awful. [/QUOTE]
i will say that it would likely take more than an update to upgrade the internet and cell phone services in this country. it would likely require a total rebuild of the hardware. which would likely cost into the billions of dollars. but with the average cell phone bill well over $100.00 a month, and some over $300.00 a month, it does not seem like it would be an impossible task. the pre-paid, super cheap (which also means very limited services) plan i am on is $20.00 for 90 days. but since i make and receive less than 10 calls a month, its ok for me. as far as mobile data goes, i am and have always been a plan for anything type of person. so the only thing i can see me NEEDING data for is GPS if i get lost or i happen to break down in an unfamiliar area, or checking / sending e-mail while traveling (which is not often). the rest of the time i can use the wi fi data from my internet connection. which i do not know if its competitively priced in the global market or not. i just know that the internet speed in europe is blindingly fast compared to what is available in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom