Benefits of a tablet vs Phone + Computer?

terrywangster

Beta member
Hey TechForums, first-time poster here.

Just a question to anyone who has a tablet (iPad, Nexus, Playbook or what have you), what do you use it for? I'm considering getting one, but I can't think of any real benefit, or anything that it could do that a phone and a computer can't do. I mean, the portability option is the obvious benefit, but I can only see myself being able to hold my tablet in my hand and watch a movie or read a book, and I wouldn't be willing to pay $200 just for that functionality.

Any input is appreciated!

(Also, how do you edit/make a signature on TechForums? Can't seem to find the option)

welcome to tf!

for sigs you need 50 posts I believe.

and to you question I was thinking about getting one as well, looking at the nexus 7, and the only thing that I would do is use it to take light notes in class (maybe.. I'm a CS major so notes usually equals code which is pretty inconvenient without a keyboard) or using it on breaks to play games or read something. I think I'd only get use out of it if I were sitting around waiting for stuff a lot, like on the train to school/work or something and the phone screen is just a bit too small.

What sealed the deal for me was borrowing a buddies tablet (luckily he has 2 so I borrowed it for a week) and just continue to live your life like normal but try and integrate it. I found that I touched it maybe twice in a week and decided against buying one. Hope that helps!

I was thinking of getting the Nexus 7 too! But I suppose you're right, if it doesn't integrate into my life there is no use for it. However, I feel like I could still strike a balance between balancing the use of my tablet, computer and phone, not sure what I would do then.

All in all, it wouldn't make a bad Christmas present, or at least that's what I tell myself, haha

Having all of the above... Desktop, laptop, mini netbook, 2 (cheaper) 7" tablets, and my Galaxy SIII.

I use the desktop (of course) but when I am mobile, I have found that I am now using the S3 for the most part. Since I am still in the military, I have the the mini and the tablets for work use (while I am on duty or underway) and the other stuff for home use. but I think I wouldn't have the tablets, mini or even the laptop at this point if I was strictly home everyday. The S3 is almost perfect for screen size for most daily things I do.

Having all of the above... Desktop, laptop, mini netbook, 2 (cheaper) 7" tablets, and my Galaxy SIII.

I use the desktop (of course) but when I am mobile, I have found that I am now using the S3 for the most part. Since I am still in the military, I have the the mini and the tablets for work use (while I am on duty or underway) and the other stuff for home use. but I think I wouldn't have the tablets, mini or even the laptop at this point if I was strictly home everyday. The S3 is almost perfect for screen size for most daily things I do.
True here also. I use my desktop at home and I use my 7 " Acer for reading e books and that's about it. But when I'm away from home which is a lot I use both my 7" and 10 ". I know having two is overkill but I love gadgets. But nothing beats a desktop IMO.

Depend on whether you need full functionality of a computer or not. If you just need a ereader and some thing to look at the internet with and excellent battery life, go a tablet.

If you need the full functionality of a laptop, the go the laptop and phone option. However at the expense of a battery life and portability.

I bought my iPad earlier this year and I can't recommend it enough. I was a small bit apprehensive when I bought it because I already have a laptop and iPhone, so I was worried that it was money down the drain.

But it was the opposite. I think tablets are a great addition to any tech setup. I use mine for music, browsing, gaming, social networking and even for storing my college notes. It is a much better gaming device and browser than my iPhone and its so much more portable than my laptop (with a better battery life).

I've used a good few Android tablets as well. They seem very good. So in summary, yes, I would HIGHLY recommend buying a tablet!

Back
Top Bottom