ATT GSM phones and service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
Hi,

I'm going to be switching service from ATT digital to their GSM network. "EVERYONE" says its MUCH, much better.

I hope, because the digital network is starting to suck around my area. Places its never dropped before... now they do???

anwyay, was wanting to get some opinions and/or thoughts about which GMS phone I should get.

On the att website, they have many to choose from BUT I don't have a clue as to which is better, in what situation and what I should be looking for. I guess the answers depend on the 'features' I want... BUT I doubt I need all the bells and whisles... I mean, will I ever use the phone as a camera?
Do I need 200 different ring tones? Will I 'surf' the web with the phone --- when I'm used to a 19 in and cable modem... I serriously doubt it :)

so, here is the link... any comments on why phone to get... please give reasons either way
http://www.attwireless.com/personal/products/phones.jhtml?titleNumber=10

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uhm... I spent some time looking at this

I'm thinking of getting the Nokia 6800 (Ultimate Text Machine)
and getting the minimum plan that will include 1M of mmode (the web access)

I can get a big discount of the price (although on the att site it says free??) and the plan seems to match what I'm paying now???

any thoughts?

Anyone have that Nokia 6800?
Anyone use Mmode with ATT?

thanks

Well, I signed up for AT&T GSM as a charter member. The reception was absolutely horrific. I have seen all the ads about how great their reception is now. Unless it has changed dramatically in the past 3 months (which is def. possible) I would stay away from their GSM services.
Then again, I had Sprint 7 years ago and it was terrible. I currently have Sprint and have not had a single dropped call or fuzzy reception since I started my contract (3 months ago.) Times change I guess. I am located in Los Angeles if that makes any difference. Good luck, and let us know how the reception is.

thanks... well, I got the Nokia 3100.
got it today and activated the phone.

pretty cool, only takes 2 hours to charge (vs like 12 hours on older phones:) )

few new cool features, once I figure them out... I will let you know if I like them / are useful :)

this phone has many signal bars (7) compared to old phone (3).
my signal goes from 3-4 to 7... changes like every minute.. all the time... ???...
Kind of weird... but have not been driving with it yet... which is the real test.

The 'speaker' phone worked very well... except that the other person knows they are on speaker... always annoying when you KNOW your on speaker.

but I hope I LOVE the new phone and the GSM service.

NOTE: Yes, ATT said their service did suck, but after LOTS of upgrades, etc. about 3 months ago.... service is much better... SO THEY SAY... ??

thanks... yeah it is a little expensive :) (for a phone that is)

I'm not to thrilled about my reception on the 3100.... Not sure if its the phone, the towers, GSM, the settings???
or what....

Question: I talked with ATT today and they sort of mentioned/suggested I change to the national plan... obviously, the cover is wider, BUT how will that help with reception.
Aren't both plans using the same towers????

I had to cut the phone call short, but I think the ATT rep was leaning toward that... something about the more towers, with more corage and more bands???
is that right?

thanks

Well if you have nation wide service then your reception area is, of course increased and also could help reception.

If you are closer to a tower that would normally be "out of area" than you are to a tower that is in area, you will use the stronger tower. Atleast, that's how I understand it.

question...
on your GSM phone... does the signal bars stay at full strength?

obviously, the bars go up and down... when moving...
BUT my bars go up/down when staying in the same spot????

like in the same room, even when the phone is setting on the desk :) It fluctuates 1 maybe 2 bars often....

maybe I was expecting to much OUT of the GSM network... OR the 3100 sucks??

thanks

okay... the national plan vs. local plan has no effect reception... ITS ONLY a money issue.

So, I'm returning the 3100 and getting the 6200 IM... its supposed to be a better phone (that's what the local ATT store guy said)... the att rep (from customer service) would not say anything.

so, I will let you know if the reception improves

My receptoion bars stay full/almost full all the time and I live in an area that has notoriously bad cell service. Nationwide GSM is the only way I can use my phone from my house. (But I work in a bigger city, which is where I use my phone most anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom