Apple + iTunes + iPhone rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
Consider this a product review. I've had an iPhone just shy of 2 years now. I loved the phone at first, then I started to hate the fact that it has to be tied to an archaic program that makes my quad core 3.0, 8GB of RAM with dual SSD's desktop run like an old 486 in order to work properly :angry:

the iPhone itself is great when it works (and doesn't freeze up on me or wipe itself out because of iTunes). Apple needs to get with the program here and work like everything else in the computer universe. Copy + Paste or 'Click' + Drag. It's not hard. I hate the fact that I have to wait 15 minutes for this program to load... if at all. If it doesn't, it mocks me in the task manager and refuses to close. Then I have to reboot. Once iTunes finally does open, if it detects my phone then I can add music, then create playlists, then sync my phone again which hijacks my PC for 30 minutes at near 100% of my system resources. When it's done I discover that the sync actually reverted my phone to it's factory state with nothing left on it except what I bought it with. Then I have to find an old restore point and spend another 30 minutes to load that and hog up my PC for another 30 minutes....

Any other device acts as another drive which I can copy and paste to. Not the iPhone. Until Apple can get it's butt in gear and catch up with the times, I will not buy another piece of their junk ever again. Oh and Apple... people can get their music from other sources besides iTunes. That is another thing that bugs me... My old iPhone will be a paperweight or listed on eBay... It's a shame, a phone with such potential held back by archaic software.

HTC Inspire... here I come

/Rant

Thoughts?

My thoughts: Something is wrong with your iTunes installation or something. My iTunes runs just fine on my desktop.. I always have it running too.. and I sync a lot of music and pictures to and from my phone. :tongue:

I've used iTunes on several computers. Same thing every time. I've formatted and even reinstalled. Same issues. I simply am turned off by it.

Hm. the only computers I've used it on for a long time have been Vista x64 machines (me and my brother both run Vista) and 7 32-bit machines.. Haven't tried 7 x64 on a long time :tongue:

The obnoxious thing with the whole random factory resetting thing is that it maintains the entries of all the songs and stuff so it appears they're there, but really there's nothing. And it's not even like iTunes runs any better on the mac side, it still gives the same kinds of issues... I think it'll really just discourage me from doing much of anything with my iPhone (once I get one in a few months or so) other than just putting some music on it, and keeping it backed up.

I think the main thing about iTunes is that it does a lot of things in the background that are completely unnecessary and that you can't disable which ends up taking up a lot of system resources.

That's strange. I've had an iPod/iPhone and used iTunes since 2005 and the only time iTunes ran slow was on my old single core 1.7GHz Celeron computer and that was because of how old the computer was.

man iTunes consistently crawls along on my SB i5. It's absurd... Whenever I start it up and go back to playing a game or watching a movie, the game/movie/other processes completely tank and freeze, then iTunes give me the THIS PROGRAM HAS STOPPED WORKING HALP MEH! and all that jazz.

Had an iPhone for about 2 years now too, first a 3GS and now a 4. The phones themselves are good, very useable, responsive, etc.

The proprietary cable? I can live with it, I mean heck some other phones do the same thing, but srsly...come on. Don't you make enough off how many phones you sell and how much you mark the cost up? Do you *have* to get that extra $$$ out of me with a darn proprietary cable?

As far as iTunes goes, I have to agree it's a POS. Where I work we have a *lot* of apple stuff (the boss is a fan unfortunately). Means I get a lot of employees coming in with their iPhones saying whoops tried to add music on a different computer and it wiped everything. Resource hungry (check your task manager) and not at all subtle when it's running. It's one of the things I really really hate about having an iPhone.

I think it'll really just discourage me from doing much of anything with my iPhone (once I get one in a few months or so) other than just putting some music on it, and keeping it backed up.

The issue is you have to sync it and check for updates. I have found if you don't, the phone will get slow. When you go to plug it in, it'll automatically do it for you anyway. It's annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom