Apple iPhone 3GS Overheating Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Is the Apple iPhone 3GS having overheating issues? I've seen some reports circulating on the Web today that indicate some handsets might indeed be affected. And I have my own tale to add to fray.
The story began at French site Nowhereelse.com, with a piece that showcases a discolored white iPhone 3GS whose owner says the discolorations came from the device noticeably heating up during use of the GPS over 3G wireless. This tale and image has circulated today at other U.S. gadget sites, including Gizmodo and Engadget.
For me, I had noticed from day one that the iPhone 3GS appeared to have similar heat issues to iPhone 3G: The phone's back got warm during use. I thought it curious that handset still got warm in many of the same areas as with the 3G, in part because, Apple had specifically told me that the components inside were reconfigured as compared with the 3G model.
I didn't think too much of this heat thing -- I recall the lower inch of the T-Mobile G1 getting toasty, too, when I had tested that model -- until last night. That was the first time I had used my 16GB iPhone 3GS while it was plugged into the wall outlet.
I don't recall how long I had been using the handset, but I was making my way steadily along The Oregon Trail, thank you. And at some point, I became aware the handset had become very hot. Very, very hot -- not just on the back, but the entire length of the front face, too. I was using a game, and then later the Web browser for reading the news about Michael Jackson, all over a Wi-Fi connection while plugged in. And in those circumstances, well...toasty doesn't even describe how surprisingly hot it got. It was too hot to even put the phone against my face. No discoloration to report, though; I have the black handset, and didn't see any effects.
After my own experience, I wondered if this was an isolated case, or if this was a sign of something bigger. The Nowhereelse.com blog appears to confirm that this may not be an isolated case. Anyone else noticing heat issues?

Apple iPhone 3GS Overheating Reports - PC World

Doesn't surprise me. From the specs it seems like a 5year old PC all crammed into such a small place.

I'll get my iPhone 3GS in a few months, so i'll see what i find.

The 3GS uses the ARM cortex A8 and the PowerVR SGX for graphics. They are both some of the most powerful mobile chips you can get. Considering that the 3GS outwardly looks like the previous iPhone, then I doubt that they improved cooling. Because of that I find overheating very likely. The Cortex A8 is much more powerful (and hotter) than the ARM 11 that most of its competitors use.

I'll be paying £10 a month for premium phone insurance. Worth it, with a phone that costs £440 to replace.

You got your 3GS KC ?

I'll be paying £10 a month for premium phone insurance. Worth it, with a phone that costs £440 to replace.

You got your 3GS KC ?

Yes. And I got the extended warranty cover too.
I don't see many carriers offering insurance on mobile phose these days.

really ? I think all the ones in UK do.

£10 premium cover for my iPhone guarantees 'Handset replacement' within 4days for any of the following:

accidental damage
accidental loss
theft
water damage
And 2 more which i forgot.

Good deal in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom