Android is now top-selling OS in American smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Mod Emeritus
Step aside, BlackBerrys and iPhones, the American consumer has voted with his wallet and picked Android as his favorite flavor in the quarter just gone. NPD's number crunchers have just announced their findings for Q2 2010, concluding that 33 percent of phones sold during the period had Android on board. This marks the first time in eons (Q4 2007, to be more precise) that RIM has not held the crown of most purchased smartphone OS on US soil, with its BlackBerrys accounting for 28% of the market and Apple's iPhone occupying third spot with 22%. Motorola and HTC are the key suspects fingered for Android's continuing ascent, with the "large screen allure" of their handsets playing well with the buying public. Skip after the break for a more detailed breakdown.

Source: NPD: Android is now top-selling OS in American smartphones -- Engadget

Given the number of excellent Android phones that have launched in the last several months this isn't to surprising. If this trend continues we may have a repeat of the PC market except with Google, not MS, being the dominant player.

Very nice. Since I am deciding between a iPhone and Droid this is good news.

I really want a droid becasue of my dislike for Apple but the iPhone's sure are nice. If held correctly. ;)

Very nice. Since I am deciding between a iPhone and Droid this is good news.

I really want a droid becasue of my dislike for Apple but the iPhone's sure are nice. If held correctly. ;)

I highly recommend Samsung's Galaxy S phones. So far my Captivate has been absolutely incredible, the screen is second to none, the TouchWiz UI is attractive and smooth, and it currently has the fastest cpu and gpu available in a phone. The Galaxy S phones are currently shipping with Android 2.1 but Samsung has promised an update to 2.2 in the next few months.

I was thinking of this one:
Telenor - HTC Desire

Your saying this is the one though?
Samsung i9000 Galaxy S

In swedish but specs are specs. :D

Yup, that's the one. Htc has been the top android oem for a while but samsung really surprised everyone with the galaxy s. The desire has the advantage of using the sense ui which is probably the best one offered for android but the galaxy s has much better hardware.

The main advantages the samsung has are its screen and much faster gpu. The samsung has the new powervr sgx 540 gpu which is several times faster than the adreno 200 gpu used in snapdragon based phones like the desire. Both of the phones use amoled screens however the galaxy s has a super amoled screen which offers better visibility in sunlight among other improvements. Also due to a shortage of amoled screens htc has started using regular lcd displays as substitutes on some models, one of which is the desire.

I actually have the samsung captivate which is the at&t version of the galaxy s. It has a few minor changes from the standard galaxy s but all the important specs are the same. If you have any specific questions about the phone I would be glad to try and answer them.

I picked up a HTC Desire a couple months ago, apart from the crappy keyboard and text msg organisation (both of which are changeable) it's great. The screen is plenty bright enough in full sunlight (not that you have to worry about bright sunlight in sweden :p) and is running smoothly. No skype ****es me off tho

If I could I'd get the Galaxy S though. Better hardware is better! If you can afford it why not?

The only reason why i am not jumping over to android is that there is not as many apps out there. if I see more apps, then I might consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom