Android

Quantified

Beta member
So I've been suspecting my internet has had some "non friendly users" on it. While messing around, I found a device list and sure enough there was an android connected and I don't own an android. My internet is password protected and the password has been changed, but along with the device type I got a 16 character number and letter combination(the android unique ID maybe). Is this possibly an identification specific to that phone, and is there a way to see which one of my neighbors is doing it? I won't provide the number on here for obvious reasons, but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

So I've been suspecting my internet has had some "non friendly users" on it. While messing around, I found a device list and sure enough there was an android connected and I don't own an android. My internet is password protected and the password has been changed, but along with the device type I got a 16 character number and letter combination(the android unique ID maybe). Is this possibly an identification specific to that phone, and is there a way to see which one of my neighbors is doing it? I won't provide the number on here for obvious reasons, but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Android ID is generated randomly when the system is booted (flashing different custom ROMs on an Android device can give you a different ID).

Anyway... What type/level of encryption do you have on your router (i.e. WPA, WPA2, etc.)? If you're on WEP or WPA, INCREASE your encryption to WPA2. If your router doesn't have WPA2... BUY A NEW ROUTER. WEP/WPA are easily crackable by very simple tools.

Also, does your router have WPS enabled on it? If so... DISABLE IT. WPS is supposed to be an easy way of setting up network devices... but since it's a hard-coded 8-digit pin #... it can EASILY be cracked with simple software that basically brute-forces the pin. And once found, even if you change your network password, the pin stays the same and then the password can be retrieved by using that 8-digit pin #.

After you disable WPS, change your password (yes, again). And then set up MAC filtering, so that only devices you specify by the MAC address can be allowed on the network.

Depending on the router, you can also attempt to setup a blacklist of MAC addresses; your router should display the MAC of the devices connected to your router... so you should be able to get it from your router's "Connected Devices" page.

Back
Top Bottom