Amaze or Galaxy II (T-Mobile)?

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
So... I will be moving my cell service to T-Mobile very shortly due to the killer employee discount for service and handsets. I am trying to decide between their HTC Amaze 4G and their Samsung Galaxy S II.

The Amaze will run me $191.86 while the Galaxy S II will cost me $258.09. I could pick up the Nokia Lumina 710 for $138.46 but see no real reason to do so.

I would prefer recommendations based on actual experience, and only between the Amaze and the Galaxy II. Thanks.

Re: Amaze of Galaxy II (T-Mobile)?

There isn't a huge difference since the Tmobile version of the S2 is Snapdragon S3 powered just like the Amaze. Likewise they both have ICS now so on the software side they are pretty evenly matched as well. The Samsung has a better display but whether that is worth the price difference will come down to personal preference.

I have all but decided on the Galaxy II as well. I like the phone physically better than the Amaze, plus I found out that it is built to take impacts which is a huge plus to me.

New question... if I decide to reflash it after I get it, what is the most current version of Android it will handle. I think it comes with Ice Cream Sandwich.

Ice cream sandwich is the newest available version. Jellybean won't be officially released to the public until later this month and is only available for the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus at this point. Developers are working on porting the preview version of Jellybean currently found on the Galaxy Nexus to other devices but it's very rough at this point and isn't even close to being ready for normal use.

The Galaxy S2 i9100 is rumored to get an official Jellybean upgrade but I wouldn't count on the Tmobile version of the S2 getting it. As far as unofficial updates are concerned we will just have to wait and see.

Ice cream sandwich is the newest available version. Jellybean won't be officially released to the public until later this month and is only available for the Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus at this point. Developers are working on porting the preview version of Jellybean currently found on the Galaxy Nexus to other devices but it's very rough at this point and isn't even close to being ready for normal use.

The Galaxy S2 i9100 is rumored to get an official Jellybean upgrade but I wouldn't count on the Tmobile version of the S2 getting it. As far as unofficial updates are concerned we will just have to wait and see.

Jellybean source code was released today :).

Yeah. That's what I figure as well. I will wait until I have it in hand and then see if it actually needs anything to help it out. Just have to find the money for it and my wife a phone as well...

Back
Top Bottom