3G/4G Reception Outages

Student Grant

Beta member
Hi all. My first technical question - I'll try and make it interesting!

I have an Apple iPhone 5 and a contract with a popular Irish service provider. Almost everywhere I go I get 3G data reception except in my workplace. The office is in a large office block in the docks and although the phone signal is excellent data is almost unusable.

If I switch the phone to Airplane Mode so that it briefly loses its connection with the provider/carrier network and then switch it back to normal again I end up getting 3G coverage for about a couple of minutes. Then the signal deteriorates until just the Edge network (a very low quality data signal) is available, if at all.

From this morning until about an hour ago I actually got great 3G coverage in the building but now it appears to have gone again. I didn't change anything on the phone that might have done that and I'm still in the same desk so I've not moved anywhere within the building.

Some of my work colleagues have said they experience similar issues but some say it's not a problem. I have noticed that a number of people in the office now appear to be using their phones as wireless hotspots.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this outage? My provider's website says this part of town should have great coverage. Are there any particular materials used in the construction of a building that block a data signal but not a phone signal? My previous workplace was in a similar part of town and I always got great coverage there.

Thanks

Easiest way to test would be to just walk into your parking lot / just outside the building and see if your data starts working fine.

I'd say it's something with the construction of the building, or something interfering with your phone.

For the people that don't have issues with service/data...are they on the same provider as you, or a different one?

It varies. A couple who are having problems are on different providers. The person who sits behind me has no problem and is on a different provider from me. I was thinking of switching to his network but I was hesitant to do so until I knew more about what the problem is.

I spoke to a friend of mine who mentioned that some service providers broadcast their data networks on lower frequency bands that are better suited to penetrating into buildings. Does that sound realistic?

The simple answer for you Grant is that service providers cannot guarantee service inside a building.

There are MANY reasons for this. Many of the common things are the piping used in the building, insulation and even the materials used while building it.

Mobile providers used frequencies of Mhz for the signal.
700/900/1800/2100/2600 and many more.
Plenty of things utilize the same frequencies and can also block it.

id agree with the other comments, probably just something to do with the building itself blocking your reception.

As someone who has to have a good knowledge of radio propagation and cell networks for my job, I concur with the previous comments.

Thanks folks. I might switch providers anyway at the end of the month (cheaper rates) and see if that makes any difference but I'm assuming it won't.

Back
Top Bottom