Windows Cloud OS Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Windows Cloud OS Next Month

Microsoft's CEO Steve Ballmer revealed a handful of details today on Windows Cloud, an operating system designed to help developers write Internet-based apps. Ballmer said he didn't want to give out too much information because it would spoil next month's official announcement.

While a good chunk of this month's Professional Developers Conference will be focused on Windows 7, it looks like Microsoft has another little surprise up its sleeve, with CEO Steve Ballmer himself dropping word that the company also plans to introduce its new, tentatively-titled "Windows Cloud" OS at the

Back on topic.... I hate the idea of cloud computing myself. I don't want all of my data to be stored remotely on someone Else's severs. That degrades tha capability of my machine, it messes with privacy and its risky.

Cloud computing hinges completely on internet connectivity. What if some hackers were to take out some of the central server with a well timed DOS attack? Everyone looses access to their files. And don't think it wouldn't happen. Such servers are too good a target.

I dont get it. Someone explain.
Is it just an OS that allows the distribution of work and space over a network?

It is an architecture of putting OS, applications, and files within a 'cloud' environment, just a fancy word for the Internet. The idea is that there is this cloud of information, and all you have to do is get on a workstation, connect, and your OS, applications, and files all reside on the Internet and not your computer. There would be permissions and allocations to each individual, so you'd go out there and where ever you connected to, India, China, or your couch you would log onto the cloud and have all of your information, OS, and applications at your finger tips.

There are a ton of articles on this, and a few threads on TF about this. There are a lot issues involved with cloud computing. Connectivity, privacy, price, speed, and about an arse ton of others. I mean we are partly there already, you CAN have files on servers elsewhere, and you can run certain applications via the Internet, but to move into a system that is based solely on the Internet I feel is like learning to run a marathon before you're even born (extreme i know).

Well said Lex that's spot on.

My biggest problem with cloud computing is the centralization of information onto arguably the most insecure computer system around - the internet.

I have a few issues with it. As I see it, the MAIN benefit is allowing people to have their home or office computer anywhere they want. That is about it, I guess I would argue that it would force software companies to streamline their products into a more thin client - which would be a requirement for something to run smoothly over the Internet. Right now the focus seems to be more graphics, more options, and more robust overall applications. I would personally like to see a shift to faster / smaller applications, or at least the option to get a smaller application (i realize you can't have your cake and eat it too, smaller would mean less options).

My issues are the speed and reliability. It isn't realistic to believe the majority of people would have access to high speed Internet, which would be required for cloud computing.

Right now i'm okay with my ISP being down a day or two because of certain issues, because I can go about my business on my computer anyways. Work on files, play a few games, balance the books - but if you were using cloud computing if your ISP was down or the 'cloud' was down, you'd be SOL. Better walk to a StarBucks, which I wouldn't put up w/ very long.

You also have licensing issues. Say a company no longer supports a product, or the company no longer exists, with cloud computing you may not have that application anymore. Pesky Quicken 2004 bothering you about an updated version? Well with cloud computing you may not have a choice in upgrading, opposed to right now I just click 'leave me the f alone' button.

^This is true, but at least for the power of the apps there are ways to get around that and still have most of the functionality. If everything is handled by the servers and your machine is truly a dumb client then you could just need client software that would essentially give you the interface, while all important data is still server side. That way you minimize traffic. This doesn't change my disdain for the computing model though. I want my data on my hard drive. And I also agree that ISPs have a long way to go before we can rely on them to provide us with a cloud computing environment that is anything more than experimental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom