The Windows 8 Concept Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
The Windows 8 Concept Desktop

"Reader Saad Baig's desktop shows what a Windows desktop could look like if you made the Windows 7 Superbar really "super", by adding desktop widgets directly into the taskbar, easily accessible even with maximized applications.

The entire taskbar concept is available in the 8Bar Rainmeter skin, but Saad Baig explains the new concept further:

Start Menu/Area
As you can notice in the taskbar, it retains a start button (which actually works, to my surprise some useful computer specs that flow with the design of the start orb., followed by a weather readout. After that is the start of the extra information that is available for customization. Basically customizing the Superbar to make it truly super. Instead of having desktop widgets, why not put them in the toolbar? Reasons for that would be that first we have more than enough on the taskbar on Windows 7 to add widgets, and second that the desktop is almost usually 100% of the time covered by either a web browser or other programs, but most people still have their taskbar visible, so its almost perfect.

Tray
Since the tray is a smaller version of the superbar, that means that you can put more stuff their in the same amount of room. So why not put a media monitor their. Today's latest media players like Winamp have tray icons that work, but you can only access the controls by right clicking. With my concept, hovering over the tray icon would bring up basic controls.

This desktop not your style? Why waste time complaining? Instead, get started creating your own killer desktop with the easy-install Rainmeter 1.1 package and show the world what you can do. Of course, using Rainmeter isn't a requirement—you are more than welcome to use any of the best desktop customization tools to turn your desktop into a productive work of art."

It isn't official but only a concept, it's pretty cool :). Click the picture below for a bigger view.

Ah rainmeter, was gonna say thats not windows 8 just simple rainmeter configs...

Idk the whole simple small icon rainmeter desktop is overused now, looks ok, but I don't like how it looks anymore. Used to have my desktop set up sorta like that, then got my SSD and been too lazy to do anything like that again :p

Though I killed my start button.
2jfyr9w.jpg

I know it's not the official version, it's just how someone thought it should look if they put more customizing into it :p. I know about the Rainmeter thing, and yeah I remember your screenshot from another thread :). That's his idea of how it should look like or have functionality of.

Rainmeter took too much setup and wasn't documented well enough for my tastes. I'm too busy to fiddle with it. That and it's integration into windows was poor, it just didn't work well with other things. It conflicted with explorer and games, and it slows you down. But that's an issue with all of the reskinning programs like this. non are as efficient as explorer, mainly because they were written in a very high level language and are 90% scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom