What would you do with a better Kinect?

genuinnovate

Beta member
Hi everyone,

As part of a university project we are assessing potential applications for a new technology that senses 3D environments quite similar to Microsoft Kinect but a more capable at various spec dimensions. Basically, the technology is able to do the following:

- Generates 3D models
- Captures large areas of up to 32x32ft (or 10x10m)
- High precision of 0.03" (or 1mm)
- Motion detection in real-time with up to 1000fps (Response time: 1ms)
- Independent of light (works in both bright and dark environments)
- Quite portable (0.8"x0.8") with low energy consumption
- Captures an angle of 180°; when combining two modules 360° would be possible.

Firstly, I would like to note that we are interested in individual perspectives given unique professional/personal experiences. I would be interested in mass market applications that would benefit from those specifications especially regarding precision / time resolution / range. As we know that the space of such sensors is quite competitive and our internal list of possible applications is extensive, we are looking for undiscovered fields where our technology is unique in its capabilities. What technologies could be replaced or problems to be solved in general e.g. 2D Image Recognition etc.?

Any suggestion is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your support.

Cheers,

genu

I think the Kinect was fine the way it is, but the 360's hardware just wasn't enough to show its full potential. My only problem I have with it is the cable is rather short, and it requires a 3rd party piece of hardware to play in smaller rooms.

I think the Kinect is a great piece of hardware for kids, as it's great in a daycare environment.

thats cool , buthowever...
wouldn't the 3D hurt your eyes ??
would it be possible to produce something so that the 3D is 'healthy'??

It doesn't produce, it detects. By 3D models he means the Kinect scans and produces 3D models on the screen/program in real time with higher accuracy and precision than on the current 360.

It doesn't produce, it detects. By 3D models he means the Kinect scans and produces 3D models on the screen/program in real time with higher accuracy and precision than on the current 360.

Yeah I got that. But would that hurt your eyes?? You haven't answered my question...

Yeah I got that. But would that hurt your eyes?? You haven't answered my question...
No. If looking at the screen doesn't hurt your eyes then this won't.

weird i was just thinking of posting these links as a new thread

leap motion is soon to be embedded with asus and hp computers

Leap Motion Controller Tech To Be Embedded In, And Bundled With, Future HP Devices | TechCrunch

New Asus PCs will ship with Leap Motion gesture control technology | The Verge
That's cool I guess, but unless it will be integrated for gaming purposes then the Kinect is still on a level of its own.

yea i guess i raced through this thread and posted the links. The op is looking for some thing to model a large object. The kinect would be more feasible for that.

However, i believe the Leap Motion has great potential for chaning the way we interact with pcs.

quoted:

A startup called Leap Motion has announced the development of the Leap 3D motion control device that is sensitive down to 1/100 of a millimeter – that's 200 times better than other sensors (read: Kinect). At this resolution, the Leap software is able to resolve the motion of individual fingers, allowing for intuitive gesture controls like pinch-to-zoom, highly accurate virtual drawing, and manipulation of 3D models.

http://singularityhub.com/2012/05/2...e-based-control-of-your-computer-for-just-70/

yea i guess i raced through this thread and posted the links. The op is looking for some thing to model a large object. The kinect would be more feasible for that.

However, i believe the Leap Motion has great potential for chaning the way we interact with pcs.

quoted:

A startup called Leap Motion has announced the development of the Leap 3D motion control device that is sensitive down to 1/100 of a millimeter – that's 200 times better than other sensors (read: Kinect). At this resolution, the Leap software is able to resolve the motion of individual fingers, allowing for intuitive gesture controls like pinch-to-zoom, highly accurate virtual drawing, and manipulation of 3D models.

Leap 3D Offers Amazing Gesture-Based Control of Your Computer for Just $70 | Singularity Hub
IIRC the Kinect can do the same kind of things with the right software and hardware. That's why in my first post I said the Kinect is great as is, just needs a better system behind it. There is only so much you can do with a non-x86 slow tri-core and 512MB of RAM.

Back
Top Bottom