Wearable Devices

brandonsays

Solid State Member
Philips just announced a new wearable device that can be used to send your doctor critical health information, meaning that doctors can monitor patients in their homes :omg:. Although this will primarily be used for patients with COPD, it's interesting to see the strides we're making in outpatient care! For anyone who is interested in learning about the technology, here's a link.

What do you all think about medical/healthcare applications of wearable devices? What other innovations in that area do you foresee or want to see? I personally find these applications more useful than a pair of glasses with WiFi and a camera...unless...it can 3-D image me a cup (recyclable of course), fill it with coffee, and wipe away my foamy milk mustache after each sip all with voice command!

Philips just announced a new wearable device that can be used to send your doctor critical health information, meaning that doctors can monitor patients in their homes :omg:. Although this will primarily be used for patients with COPD, it's interesting to see the strides we're making in outpatient care! For anyone who is interested in learning about the technology, here's a link.

What do you all think about medical/healthcare applications of wearable devices? What other innovations in that area do you foresee or want to see? I personally find these applications more useful than a pair of glasses with WiFi and a camera...unless...it can 3-D image me a cup (recyclable of course), fill it with coffee, and wipe away my foamy milk mustache after each sip all with voice command!

I was reading about that device. Its interesting but many people share similar opinions with it as they do other devices similar in nature such as what may come from Qualcomm's 1 million dollar contest to make a Tricorder. In all situations where medical information is shared between devices client confidentiality becomes a major concern and they would need strong security before it becomes HIPAA compliant and implemented for consumers.

That's a really good point! I think what's really going to set the fate of most devices apart are quality standards, FDA regulation history, and successes of other devices with similar HIPAA compliance requirements. Luckily for Philips, they are good in these areas. Nevertheless, I can understand the reluctance of folks regarding security; it is definitely proving to be quite fragile in this day and age.

Back
Top Bottom