WD Unveils World's First 4 TB External Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
WD Unveils World's First 4 TB External Hard Drive

WD, the world's leader in external storage solutions, today introduced its new 4 terabyte capacity My Book® Studio Edition™ II dual-drive storage systems, which are designed to seamlessly work with Mac® computers and provide an ideal blend of high performance and power conservation. The new My Book Studio Edition II dual-drive storage systems are available now at select retailers and the WD online store.

Can't wait to see how much that thing is.

EDIT: Wait, I just checked. It's 650 bucks.

Awesome. [/sarcasm]

exactly what you want.[/sarcasm] 4tb of a raid0 array.

Are they making this just to say they have a 4tb drive?

Seems pointless to me. I would rather have a 2tb raid1 external drive.

In what sort of environment would you need a 4TB drive? (honest question)

I could use a 4TB drive, it's not the hardest thing in the planet.

But to answer your question, people who do heavy video editing would benefit, among others.

I dunno about this. I can see where people with huge music/movies stashes and servers would need this. But it gets so big to the point that it takes forever to back it all up...and what happens if it fails? I know you should always back data up..but I'd feel safer with like four 1tb hard drives (not raid) then with 1 4tb

I dunno about this. I can see where people with huge music/movies stashes and servers would need this. But it gets so big to the point that it takes forever to back it all up...and what happens if it fails? I know you should always back data up..but I'd feel safer with like four 1tb hard drives (not raid) then with 1 4tb

Its more for HD content taken with some serious digital equipment. (Possibly raw but idk)

I think that's a reason why it was made for a Mac too, it seems like a lot of people who edit/take films do it on Mac's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom