VOIP(Voice over internet protocol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
emeraldice said:
VOIP is still more expensive than normal phones...

and it takes up bandwidth in an internet gaming community...so it won't be popular w/ us.

Not so. NetComm and My Net Fone as made VoIP affordable and with in reach for the SOHO / Home Enviroment. I have put a bit of a blurb about this product here on TF.

We currently using it office and many of my co-workers have jumped onboard for this technology.

As for the bandwidth usage, it was not that noticable when we have been making and receiving phone calls via this VoIP system.

I have Vonage and I only pay $27 a month WITH TAX and get unlimited local and long distance in the US and Canada. Also it hardly takes any bandwidth (90kps each way for maximum quality) and I get a very clear connection.

As for 911 dialing there is a 911 dialing service and all I had to do was fill out my address and it takes them like a day to confirm it and then I have 911 dialing. So when I call 911 they automatically reference me to the nearest 911 response center.

I think VoIP is great!

VoIP is very affordable, it will get more mainstream when they work out all of the kinks in the 911 system which is getting fixed as we speak.

emeraldice said:

and it takes up bandwidth in an internet gaming community...so it won't be popular w/ us.

and we dont' like marketing here.

You have seriously got to be kidding me man. VOIP is cheaper than any phone service that I know of and unless you do not know what you are doing, then it takes up very little bandwidth. I can play multiplayer games online without a problem and be on the phone at the same time. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. VOIP is the way to go these days.

Yep definitely cheaper. And I play online games on my computer while my brother does on his and my cousin is on xbox live and my mother is talking on the phone and everything works fine still with no lag. And that's only on a 2mbit connection.

emeraldice said:

and we dont' like marketing here.

....free.
Skype .

Also you can set your own up, can't you....

And, it is DEFINITELY cheaper than ANALOG phones, d0ik!!!!

Skype is not free. You have to purchase skypeout credits, you have to purchase a number to receive calls, and you also have to purchase voicemail.
Not sure how much that costs because I have never used it. But I get unlimited long distance and local calls US and Canada, unlimited voicemail storage, and a number from Vonage all for $27 a month with tax.

Heyyo,

Skype is free if you use it through your comp, I'm sure if you used a voip phone I'd cost money.

Now, VOIP phones are cool, but the one that's at a comp shop on the island I live on doesn't have a phone number, lol, so it's like the ultimate prank call phone, untraceable. ;)

As for VOIP sapping bandwith? check the codecs. Most use a max of I think 25kbits/s (is it bytes or bits??? I forget..). That's nothing. Anywho, a norm phoneline is 5KB/s, I doupt VOIP goes over 10KB/s. So unless you're in some uber-huge corporation with only 1 net connection, or downloading crap at max speed off the net? I doupt your phonecall would lag.. that would be rediculous if it lagged. lol, imagine talking to your gf:

gf: "don't you love me anymore?"

you: "yes"

gf: "oh, don't feel like talking? fine, I'm gone." *hangs up*

you: "omfgz! teh lagged is teh sux!!!11!!!1!"

lmfao... I mean, really people, do ya think this would really happen? :p

The company that I work for has VOIP installed throughout the building. The best advantage I can see is that when someone has to move from one cubicle to another, they dont need to change phone numbers, just the chords in the server room. It's a heck of a lot better to manage too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom