'Uncrackable' DRM Lasts 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
hat said, this DRM scheme comes across as awfully heavy-handed and annoying.

Piracy is not killing PC Gaming. It's DRM that is killing PC Gaming.
I walked into EB Games on the week end and I had to look really hard to see where the PC Gaming section was located. They were just about wall to wall with 360/PS3/Wii/DS/PSP products. The PC gaming products where tucked right up in the back corner.

Software piracy has been around for a long time. However the Devs where still turning out the games.
DRM only been out for about 2-3 years now and because of that, it's killing off the PC Gaming market. The honest buyer is getting treated like a criminal where the pirates are getting way with cracking the DRM methods.

K.C. said:
The honest buyer is getting treated like a criminal where the pirates are getting way with cracking the DRM methods.
Yep. I even wrote a paper about it in college.

Social Control... this is the purpose of DRM. let me put it this way...
A bank pays to have security personel to guard the bank from robbers. The cost of the guards far surpasses any bank robbery that has ever taken place. However if there were no guards, then bank robberies would run rampant. The only people who can get away with robbing a bank now, are those who put the same resources into the bank robbery, as that which would net them the same money if those resources were put to something more "constructive"

DRM is in place to keep the pirates down to a minimum. If you make it difficult to crack, then only someone who is very good at what they do can crack it. Then there is the distribution of said crack to others which as somebody else stated above can lead your PC into the perverbial dark alley. This is enough to thwart your average PC user. As people become more computer savvy, DRM must keep up so that it remains inefficient for the average person to crack. No DRM will ever be uncrackable, just as no anti-virus software will ever protect you from everything. But I do think the "creators", for lack of a better term, are placing too much stock into it. Spending all the extra time and money to keep the software "safe" from a couple extra people while turning others away who are willing to pay doesn't seem logical. A difficult juggling act, I'm sure, but really? I know most computer users have access to the internet, but how many want to be connected 24/7? Or are the creators just trying to get us there?

I do agree however that there are other ways to go about things without ruining the gaming experience for people. Trials are a good idea, and some games have them (maybe most do at this point, I haven't looked for a game in a little while) because unless I have tried a game, I won't pay $50 for it, especially the way advertising has gotten recently. I have mixed feelings on all of this because I understand the POV of the developers/owners of the intellectual properties, just like if you spent hours/days/months of your personal time and put your heart into writing a song/book/program, and then your next door neighbor just took it and started to sell it. (but then again any publicity is good publicity... unless your product sucks then we get into reputations and thats a whole other chestnut)

I don't know if I had a specific point to portray here, but I guess what I'm saying is DRM is a necessity, but lets be smart about this. From a capitalistic viewpoint, maximize buying potential. This means appeal to as many potential buyers as possible, while thwarting the masses. Don't make it a personal mission to end software piracy forever because it will never happen. Just as the war on drugs will never be won nor the war against terrorism. The more you push, the more those you push will push back. Every action has and equal an opposite reaction.

I think thats as good of a note as any to end this rant

below is my personal opinion and may be off topic :p

1. I think piracy would drop a lot if every game came with a playable demo. I know some games have private and public beta events, but even with public beta event, still not everyone can get a key.

my friend download games just to try it out, he buys the game if he likes it. if not he just uninstall it and forget about it. Spending $50+ on a title only to find out the game doesn't suit your style really sucks. of course you can't return it either, even if you sell it, you still take a loss.

Demos to me are often far too short to give you a good idea of the game's value, and often developers will stick the best bits in it to make you think the game is amazing, whereas after the demo section it really sucks.

Look we all know that DRM is essentially a punishment for the people that haven't broke the law.
Many years ago I was given a copy of a game with a full scan of the 100 page manual by a friend of my dads for a game called DooM that was a fantastic game as we can all agree, but they still made millions from it and made two more the argument that they have to charge more to make up for losses is frankly retarded.

What piracy is doing is killing of the mod scene and the whole PC gameing industry, I used to buy a game play it then download the mods and play them now I am lucky if a game can be moded.

Yep. I even wrote a paper about it in college.

Trotter mate, can you upload that I would like to read it.

Apsoul is completely right on the spot. Sure DRM sucks for everyone. But if it wasn't there 20% more people would end up pirating.

It seems to be if you guys hate DRM and pirating so badly you would do anything in your power to stop it...no testing, no letting friends do it. Then there wouldn't be the need for DRM. But for some reason I don't see you doing anything about it.

This goes for everyone in this thread by the way. So far it was been at least semi-civil, but with should it turn into an all out flame-fest the topic will be closed. This happens every single time there is ANYTHING to do with piracy or DRM on the forums, and frankly, I'm sick of it. There's a constructive/CIVIL conversation and someone comes in and ruins it.

This is for EVERYONE. Keep this conversation CIVIL.

Continue.

Saxon said:
Trotter mate, can you upload that I would like to read it.
It seems to have gone on the the hard drive in the sky. My copy was on a drive that died many, many moons ago. I had posted it on ToV once upon a time (and here, too, I thought... but I can't find it with a search). The school's website only holds stuff for a couple of months after the end of a class so it no longer exists there.

Oh, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom