'Uncrackable' DRM Lasts 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea but I don't think the price thing can be an excuse.

People think of this like the "which came first, the chicken of the egg?" well piracy came first, then high cost and sucky games...not the other way around.

I do have to agree that DRM only hurts the legit people at this point. BUT I'm sure if they released a popular game in a series without it more people would pirate it than before just because there is no DRM.

And I'm sure there is some way to have a DRM that's "impossible to crack". Like saxon said, if everyone wasn't so picky and just went with it instead of watering it down because they are lazy, I'm sure this could of turned out well. There HAS to be a way to code it that would just totally screw it up if you removed the DRM. Or even invent some sort of new CD tech so it's like preventing money counterfeiting.

Just by being a notice programmer and seeing how my code can fall apart over 1 simple thing makes me see clearly how DRM could work if they pulled it all together. Sure, some pirates will be experienced enough to crack it at that point but instead of going through 10 hours of work to crack something..why not get a job and just pay for it?

Luke said:
Im still not seeing where anyone said that this DRM was unbeatable. Honestly, someone want to link me?
I don't know that Ubisoft made that claim themselves, but it was widely touted as such by the online community. There may be a direct link to such a claim, but I haven't seen it.

wafflehammer said:
People think of this like the "which came first, the chicken of the egg?" well piracy came first, then high cost and sucky games...not the other way around.
Actually, it is the other way around.

When software first came out it was expensive (some things never change). Thing is, people thought that, since they paid this insane amount for it, it was theirs to do with as they pleased. And so they pleased to make copies of it for themselves and others. It didn't take software developers and companies long to figure out that this was cutting into their (as they saw it) potential sales. It was from this that "piracy" began, just like bootleg copies of albums on cassette way back when.

The whole concept of "intellectual property" has grown out of this mess. When you buy a car, it is yours to do with as you please. When you buy a house, it is yours to do with as you please. If (in certain countries) you buy a slave, it is yours to do with as you please. But in the cases of software and music/media, you only purchase a license/permission to use that specific copy and nothing else.

I don't have a problem with intellectual property, nor do I have a problem with people being prosecuted for illegal copying and/or distributing pirated data. I do, however, have a huge problem with these heavy-handed DRM tactics being used against us all in order to try to thwart the few. It doesn't take these few long to defeat the DRM anyway.

I'll be honest. I bought Spore (huge letdown, but whatever). But I downloaded a cracked version so I wouldn't have to fool with the DRM on it. Odds are I will do the same again if faced with some kind of draconian DRM like that. I don't have a problem with buying a game (or whatever), but the DRM is a totally different matter.

Saxon said:
Part C.
This one bug's me, price I know many people who have copys of games because they can't afford the legitimate one. I am sorry but if they charged a reasonable price for a game and not £40 more people would be inclined to buy it.

I hear ya, mate. Sometimes I think the game companies want to recoup their entire expense within the first week as their prices reflect it. I have passed on several games for that very reason. I refuse to willing buy something that they want 300% (or more!) of its actual worth.

Thank's for seeing my point trotter, for instance I use some very costly software on my home PC and on my mobile workstation (£150+ per copy VMware workstation) but if I wanted to install it on all of my computers it would cost me more like 2K for the whole lot so I have to use a inferior product or turn to piracy and I wont do that on a production machine.

I might be able to shead a little light on this bit of history though - when you bought software in the old day's you normally got the source code with it for a whole host of uses. I have heard storys of a professor moving from MIT to Berkeley bringing the tapes for the AT&T / Bell Labs unix with him along with the source code. But then BIG money come into the equation of IBM and the fledgeling Microsoft and bill gates wrote something called the "Open letter to hobbyists" saying that most of the feedback he had had for Altair BASIC was good but was shocked to find out how few people payed them for it as back then you could buy a Altair in a full kit without having to buy a OS or programming language with it and would get a friend to pass them a copy of both. He demanded people pay up and promised that the people distributing the disks would eventually be sued, from then till the current GNU middle age we have seen massive swings of when source code is given away.
In the next release of software MS released they put a VERY early form of DRM on the tapes and disks shipped, and kept all source code under lock and key.

yea but I don't think the price thing can be an excuse.

I do have to agree that DRM only hurts the legit people at this point. BUT I'm sure if they released a popular game in a series without it more people would pirate it than before just because there is no DRM.

And I'm sure there is some way to have a DRM that's "impossible to crack". Like saxon said, if everyone wasn't so picky and just went with it instead of watering it down because they are lazy, I'm sure this could of turned out well. There HAS to be a way to code it that would just totally screw it up if you removed the DRM. Or even invent some sort of new CD tech so it's like preventing money counterfeiting.

Just by being a notice programmer and seeing how my code can fall apart over 1 simple thing makes me see clearly how DRM could work if they pulled it all together. Sure, some pirates will be experienced enough to crack it at that point but instead of going through 10 hours of work to crack something..why not get a job and just pay for it?

Ya, you got that part wrong ;)

You cant pirate software that does not exist :p

Yea but the whole "own it then you do as you please" only goes so far. Everything you named can't be copied.

I'm sure if you could copy your car and give the copy away ford wouldn't be pleased.

Sure games are expensive when they first come out. But tell me what isn't. Everything you buy drops in price as it ages so why should games be any different?

EDIT: Yea software came first but the games started to suck because they was losing money. Why put $100,000,000 in man hours when the game is only going to bring in $50,000,000

below is my personal opinion and may be off topic :p

1. I think piracy would drop a lot if every game came with a playable demo. I know some games have private and public beta events, but even with public beta event, still not everyone can get a key.

my friend download games just to try it out, he buys the game if he likes it. if not he just uninstall it and forget about it. Spending $50+ on a title only to find out the game doesn't suit your style really sucks. of course you can't return it either, even if you sell it, you still take a loss.

2. Assassin's Creed 2(console versions) purposely left out parts of the game so you have to buy DLC if you want the whole story. what's the deal with that?

I thought the idea of DLC was supposed to be things added onto the story after production is complete. not take away from the production in the first place.

luckily, both DLC are included in the PC version of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom