'Uncrackable' DRM Lasts 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
'Uncrackable' DRM Lasts 24 Hours

Never underestimate the power of the geek as Ubisoft recent became aware....brings back memories of the use of a simple magic marker to remove the copy protection from CD years ago. As Commander Scott so elequently put it, "The more they try to improve the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that you should pay your way in this world. That said, this DRM scheme comes across as awfully heavy-handed and annoying. This DRM sounded so annoying that it was unlikely to stand for long.........And it didn't.

oh well...sooner or later there will be a way that won't happen. This 'onlive' stuff that plays games over the net..that's going to end up being the future because ignorant people can't just steal freely. Why don't people just get over it..if you're so lazy you can't even work to earn $20 then you don't deserve to have fun either.

On another forum I frequent someone posted screenshots he found of silent hunter 5 cracked at least last week. Ubisoft's stupid DRM didn't even last to release date, I was considering picking up assassin's creed 2, but not with that kind of crap on it.

what ever i don't see the big deal, if you don't want to buy the game because of it, then DON'T. Quit whining about it. All anti pirating methods are eventually cracked, who cares when it happens. BTW, where did ubisoft ever say this method was Uncrackable?

That's not the point. All new ubisoft games (apparently) are coming out with this new DRM. Where you need an internet connection, if you don't you can't play OFFLINE. And if you lose your internet halfway through, you get kicked out and lose all unsaved progress.

That's not the point. All new ubisoft games (apparently) are coming out with this new DRM. Where you need an internet connection, if you don't you can't play OFFLINE. And if you lose your internet halfway through, you get kicked out and lose all unsaved progress.

actually your progress is saved till it reconnects

if you can't hack it, don't buy the game

This is just my opinion on the matter, please feel free to discuss:

Part A:

DRM like this lowest common denominator, it's like the one size fit's all T-Shirt that fit's not one person out there so it makes you look like a Muppet no matter how well you accessories. All this kind of stuff is designed by a comity that is drawn from lot's of differing interests, so the engineering department might want X but X isnt compatible or cost efficient for the other departments so they have to use a differing less effective medium to keep all sides happy. If that is to poorly worded let me explain -

Say your part of a group of 1000 people and you are all trying to decide what you want for lunch but you can only all order the one thing, you might want a steak sandwich but the next guy wants a Waldorf salad, etc, etc, so after 3 hours of debate you all settle on a cheese sandwich because you can all agree that it's cheep and every one likes cheese.

What the DRM issue boils down too is to many cooks spoiling the broth on a multi million pound meal, DRM won't be effective ever because all the sides can't pull together to reach a common goal.

Part B.
Sorry but saying something is bullet proof is just a invite for some guy to invent the new black talon, what you need to say is OK this isn't perfect but it will work for now. You don't on a battle field take your jacket off and say "HEY SHOOT AT ME BECAUSE I AM WEARING BODY ARMOUR" and then dance the funky chicken, you let it do it's job and pray that some one hasn't got tungsten rounds. What I am trying to say is make yourself loud and proud is a invite to the quite dude at the back to toss a rock at you and make you look like a arse in a public place.

Part C.
This one bug's me, price I know many people who have copys of games because they can't afford the legitimate one. I am sorry but if they charged a reasonable price for a game and not £40 more people would be inclined to buy it.

Part C Addendum:
Staggered release is also another issue, when a game or a film for that matter goes on release and you say OK on the 1st of the month it's going to be released in area 1 but it's going to be on sale in area 2 a week later people who have been hyped up for weeks or months about a release will not wait for it to be released in the shops so they will go out and download it. People just can't wait and will go and get a pirated version, sucks because once most people have a working illegitimate copy they will not go out and get a legitimate one.

Part D.
Didn't we already win this one? DRM just isn't working and was proven by the music industry to not work. It's about time companies really did pay attention to the real world and stop huffing the jenkem on this matter of digital rights the world has changed in the last 20 years more than at most other times in history and they have not bothered to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom