Ultrafast Wireless Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoLoCroN

Daemon Poster
Being the WiFi Fanatic that I am I try to keep current with industry standards and changes. I am always reading into the IEEE Standards and I came across something very interesting.

It is called Ultra Wide Band (802.15.3a) and it has a maximum throughput of 480 mbps but only at close range (Within 3 Ft.) the throughput lowers to around 110 mbps after 30 Ft. (Which is still leagues above standard WiFi)

I can see this really impacting the multimedia world, can you imaging sending your recorded content from your digital video camera to your TV or computer wirelessly and quickly... Awesome!

thats cool, but 3 feet can't seriously be considered wireless. They need to make it much wider, i mean if your gonna be 3 feet away, why not just connect a crossover cable between their NIC's? this sounds like only for tranfering large files so how fast do you really need to sych with the address book on your PDA? :rolleyes:

ekÆsine said:
this sounds like only for tranfering large files so how fast do you really need to sych with the address book on your PDA? :rolleyes:

Actually, the intentions of this are mostly related to streaming video. Something TCP/IP wasn't really designed for, which is why such enourmous speed is needed.

I would worry about all the radiation that strong a signal would end spreading...

HoLoCroN said:
Ha, so while watching the video, don't be surprised if you start to glow in the dark....:)

:p . Or maybe even growing an extra finger or two... heck if i had the choice i'd take an extra penis... er never mind... i won't go there.

Well that's good to hear about the development Holocron. I've known for quite some time that the europeans have been way ahead of us in the wireless arena and it's about damn time the US start making some headway.

Personally, as much as I like wireless connectivity, I still worry sometimes about the security issue. With all that data flowing around in the air, sometimes my mind starts drifting off into Sci-Fi movies where spy villians go around stealing sensitive data. Ahh hell, what I am so worried about anyway... people do that on the internet now don't they? :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf said:
Personally, as much as I like wireless connectivity, I still worry sometimes about the security issue. With all that data flowing around in the air, sometimes my mind starts drifting off into Sci-Fi movies where spy villians go around stealing sensitive data. Ahh hell, what I am so worried about anyway... people do that on the internet now don't they? :rolleyes:

So you're basically saying that since there are so many security issues to worry about, we simply should cease to worry at all about security? :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom