speed of light slowed down

Status
Not open for further replies.
it doesn't disprove einstein's theory because we haven't proven anything to go faster than the speed of light. only that light has been slowed.
E=MC² comes from the formula E=MV²
where C is a velocity. the speed which only light can reach, and nothing can go faster than it

molsen said:
i tried my best to censor my language so no one would be offended.
Except that your previous post is still a blatant flame. Look over the forum rules again. I cannot see how calling him a "stuck-up @$$hole" or a "d*ck" is much less offensive than the non-censored counterparts, it's clear what you meant each time. This is a public warning, you can't post like that. However condescending you may feel his posts are, they don't ever make a direct attack. I don't want to close the thread.

true true, i forgot about the forum rules thing...my bad

furtivefelon: I don't like to argue so I will leave it at this-- I hope you see where I stand because I see where you stand. Let's just continue with the discussion without criticizing one another.

i didn't really directly critize you.. I'm sorry if i made you feel that way..

Now, according to Einstein's second postulate in special relativity, light is a CONSTANT.. that means, if you prove either light goes slower or faster will disprove his theory.. If light goes any slower than the speed of light, it will cease to exist..

Now, another hurdle any new theory has to overcome.. It is the mountains of evidence that relavity works.. the speed of light is constant? well, that works, that explains pretty well what it meant to explain.. the first rule of breaking a old theory is that your theory HAS to break down to the old one in identical conditions.. This new slowing down the light thing doesn't explain exactly how it does that..

Another thing i noticed, there seem to be general confusion as whether light have mass.. Well, light absolutely has no mass.. In order to travel at the speed of light, any object with any mass whatsoever will need infinite amount of energy to travel at 100% speed of light.. As proven by propelling an electron to 99.999999% of speed of light, every addition of 9 at the end requires immense energy increase.. Also it's indisputed by the special relavity equations..

I don't argue for the sake of arguing, i argue for the truth :p If you don't argue for your believes, no one will..

black holes are black because they suck in light
if light doesn't have a mass, then why does it get sucked into black holes?
we don't understand gravity completely, but it is said that gravity is the attraction of mass. the more mass, the more attraction and the stronger the gravity.

i'm sure there is an explanation for it.. Though, what i said is the special relavity prove that light has no mass, i don't know enough about gravity (or general relativity for that matter, as gravity is adquately explained by general relativity) to argue about it, however, Einstein sweated 10 years over general relativity, i'm sure he came up with something solid that holds true until today :D

If you can comprehend the math behind general relativity, i welcome your prove that because gravity pulls light in, therefore light has mass :)

Look up "principle of equivalence". Photons have whats called inerial mass (velocity) that is equivelant to gravitiational mass. Think of it like this, you can bend light. The black whole does not 'suck in' like, but more bends light to an extreme where it is directed into it.

molsen said:
http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/03/1544233&from=rss

Now that IBM has managed to slow down the speed of light using standard materials, this opens up several doors as to the future of computer architecture. Perhaps replace 1's and 0's with colors? Any thoughts? Ideas?

IBM didn't do it.. a Russian physist did it a long time ago. He was able to determine that the speed of light varies with its environment/medium. He was able to actually speed electrons past the speed of light... the speed of light as it travels through water anyways. Light actually has mass/density and therefore, weight. So it is, if almost imperceptable, affected by things like gravity and physical mediums. Now gravity in a vaccum... such as space, I doubt they will be able to do that very easily.

so he didn't actually speed the electrons past 300,000,000 km/s (top speed of light)
he just made it go faster than a slower beam of light (travelling slower than 300,000,000 km/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom