Some AMD Chips Don't Support 'XP Mode'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Some AMD Chips Don't Support 'XP Mode'

AMD has issued a statement on which processors do not support Windows 7 XP Mode. Much the same as Intel, the majority of the company's processors are capable of hardware-assisted virtualization.

AMD also cited processors that are not necessarily shipping currently. "With the exceptions of Sempron-branded processors and Turion K8 Rev E processors, all notebook processors shipped by AMD include AMD-V and therefore support Windows 7 XP mode," AMD said. "With the exceptions of Sempron-branded processors and pre-Rev F Athlon branded processors, all of the desktop processors shipped by AMD include AMD-V and therefore support Windows 7 in XP mode." And Opteron processors: "Also, all AMD Opteron processors shipped by AMD from Rev F forward include AMD-V," according to AMD.

Yep. Any socket 939 or 754 CPUs will not do it, as AMD-V started in the AM2 generation of chips.

That is a bit off as Socket A processors was found in a FEW random laptops and Socket A deff doesnt have AMD-V, Most people don't even sit on 754 or 939 anymore... Most are on AM2/3

That is a bit off as Socket A processors was found in a FEW random laptops and Socket A deff doesnt have AMD-V, Most people don't even sit on 754 or 939 anymore... Most are on AM2/3

If it was AM2, then i would be worried about it as AM2 is not that old. It's a little unfortunate that SKT 939 is not that old. However any thing older than that is just way too old.

When windows Xp came out, you would not expect that to run on an AMD K6II as the chip is too old.

939 is about as old as 754.... Only real diff was dual core processors and dual channel ram....

Socket 939 came out in mid 2004
Socket 754 came out in some time n the second half of 2003.

Reason why Socket 754 stay on as along as it did was because AMD in did the stupid move just to make 754 just for mainly Sempron and 939 Athlon64. I remember being at a dealer conference about that back in 2004 and when AMD was pointing that out, it really did annoy alot of dealers/consultant for keeping both sockets alive.

Then again, AMD did a lot of stupid things back then.

Yep. Any socket 939 or 754 CPUs will not do it, as AMD-V started in the AM2 generation of chips.

And you're still on Socket 939 D:

Looks like a "Trotter needs a new Mobo, CPU and RAM" thread is in order...

Back on the thread.. this is a pleasant surprise for me, as I was expecting it to be AM2+/AM3 Phenom support only.. phew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom