Single slot GTX 470 from Galaxy - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Technology > New Technology and Products
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

Default Single slot GTX 470 from Galaxy

News Just In: A Single Slot GTX 470 from Galaxy - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

"Power and heat output are often issues which stride the minds of graphics card enthusiasts. Sufficient cooling and a beefy power supply are often a prerequisite if one wishes to invest in NVIDIA’s latest Fermi offering. So what happens when we catch word of a single slot graphics card containing a Fermi GPU?

Hot on the heels of Galaxy’s custom GTX470 GC, the GTX470 Razor (or ‘Katana’ in Japan) is set to be officially launched at Computex 2010, and looks like the bigger brother of the Galaxy GTX260+ Razor, released in September 2009. It is an air cooled, 10 inch long blue PCB, with a fan that draws air in from all sides. Galaxy is utilizing a vapor chamber cooler to better channel heat from the GPU straight to the to the all-copper heatsink and fin assembly in this compact design, with air pushed throughout the assembly and back into the case - not an ideal situation, especially in multi-GPU setups. Requiring a 6-pin and 8-pin power connectors, the card is expected to have NVIDIA specified reference clock speeds, 1280MB of GDDR5 memory across a 320-bit interface, coupled with dual DVI-D and mini HDMI outputs.

With the card being single slot, the fan will have a lot of work to do to keep the card within a reasonable temperature window – on our test of the reference GTX470 design, we saw a load temperature during Crysis of 93ºC, so expect the Galaxy fan to run fast and loud. Also, at a 10 inch length of PCB (0.5 inches over the reference design), a sufficient length case would be required. The single slot nature of the card will in no doubt appeal to folders (who don't mind using an open test-bed), wishing to stick six or seven of them into a single motherboard with a couple of power supplies to boot.

The use of a GTX480 style PCB, in terms of length and power connectors, also gives rise to the potential of a single slot GTX480 in the future. No indication of prices or release date yet, we may receive that information when Computex 2010 opens on June 1st."

Single-Slot Cooling for the GTX 470 from Galaxy - Industry News - Overclockers Club

"It is common knowledge that NVIDIA's new Fermi based cards have a tendency to run on the warm side, so developing a single-slot cooling solution that will keep temperatures of a GF100 chip in check is no mean feat. Galaxy will be launching a GTX 470 card that does just that, providing a card with default clocks that will squeeze into tight spaces (great for system integrators
or those with limited space, such as in a HTPC). Bright Side of News also believes that pictures released of the card actually show a GTX 480 model (the presence of an 8-pin PCIe power connector being a give-away).

How the single-slot GTX 470 (or even GTX 480, should there be one) temperatures will compare with the reference dual-slot cooler should be interesting (pictures seem to indicate a possible full copper construction). Either way, it will be the highest performance single-slot card when it is launched."

Old 05-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Default Re: Single slot GTX 470 from Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
The single slot nature of the card will in no doubt appeal to folders (who don't mind using an open test-bed), wishing to stick six or seven of them into a single motherboard with a couple of power supplies to boot.
Read my mind with that one.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 05-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Now ive heard everything.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

wow, I shudder to think of the noise a rig with 7 of them installed will make
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
wow, I shudder to think of the noise a rig with 7 of them installed will make
Sponsored folding rig time...
Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I am glad there is a decent card that is single slot for a change, I don't know about anyone else but I am a little annoyed that all the best cards are space hogs.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Definitely, even some of the lower end cards take two slots for no good reason.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Exactly, I can understand for real hot cards or for watercooling etc but I would rather my machine have room for other addon cards, **** serial for me is essential so I have to use a serial card but now decent domestic boards have a pci slot blocked by the double slot gfx card.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

yeaaa

Nvidia's GeForce GTX 285 and 295 graphics cards - The Tech Report - Page 3