Shielding from Radiation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry that I am too ignorant on the subject =) But from what I've read on wiki, I see Faraday Cage is meant to protect something from its' exterior. Using reverse logic; should I just wrap my system unit with aliminium foil (speaking of for a computer)
Assuming that's the deal; there are generally lots cables around such electronic devices.How should I deal with them? And does Faraday Cage needs to be strictly enclosed to be effective?
I can't seem to edit this post anymore. Here is another question: Is it possible to affect electromagnetic fields with magnets? Let's assume I've wrapped some electronic device with foil, leaving only one side open. And I am putting a magnet at the open side. Will this result in electromagnetic waves gathering around the magnet? (Now I guess started to sound like a complete moron :D) I know that with enough magnetic force, it is possible to damage electronic devices easily; but other than that... *sigh* :D

SImply put, unless there's something radioactive in your PC case, the kind of radiation emitted isn't going to do you any harm. You're looking at radio-wave frequencies, which carry less energy than visible light. Radiation will only cause harm if:
1) it just happens to be the same frequency as a molecule in your body, causing it to vibrate rapidly and heat up (think microwaves and water)
2) it's higher on the scale than visible light.
#2 is because your body is designed to withstand light radiation, but anything with any more energy than that can cause mutations. The scale goes like this:
radio waves<microwaves<infra-red<light<ultra-violet<X-ray<Gamma radiation
with radio waves the least energetic and gamma waves the most.
I think that this is a psychological problem. Try convincing yourself that it's not the electronics and I guarantee that it'll stop.

As for your new question:
If you have plutonium in your case, then yes. Radioactive materials emit X-rays, gamma rays, alpha particles (two hydrogen nuclei), and beta particles (free electrons). The alpha and beta particles are magnetic, and therefore will be altered by the magnet. They won't "crash" into it, but it will bend their path through the air. A magnet will not affect the radiation by any means. To explain this, I must delve into quantum mechanics.
All energy in the universe requires a "carrier" particle, or a boson. Bosons themselves do not have mass (except for the Higgs, but that's a college course in itself). The boson for electromagnetic radiation is the photon. Light energy forms when a photon is absorbed by an electron in an atom. The electron gains the amount of energy in the photon, and makes a quantum leap to the next energy level. Eventually, electromagnetic attraction causes the electron to fall back into its former energy level, releasing the excess energy in the form of another photon. The amount of energy carried by the photon determines its wavelength. Because EM radiation is just vibrating, massless, chargeless photons, they aren't attracted or repelled by magnetic fields. I believe that they are called electromagnetic because the electron flow in current-bearing wires is sufficient to release photons with the same wavelength of the alternations of the current. It's really a misnomer when it comes to magnets.

If you really want to find out the cause, get a Geiger counter. If it clicks, then you should be worried.

I am sorry that I am too ignorant on the subject =) But from what I've read on wiki, I see Faraday Cage is meant to protect something from its' exterior. Using reverse logic; should I just wrap my system unit with aliminium foil (speaking of for a computer)
Assuming that's the deal; there are generally lots cables around such electronic devices.How should I deal with them? And does Faraday Cage needs to be strictly enclosed to be effective?

What you gotta understand is these signals, or radiation if you want to call it that, is all around you. You are literally saturated in it 24/7 (unless you head out to the country I guess). Power lines, towers, phones, microwaves, tv's, wireless routers/switches, etc. They ALL give of constant 'radiation' which is why your mobile phone works no matter where you're standing in a city, why your internet works on your laptop even when you're not physically connected to your router, etc.

So my point is, if this was REALLY affecting you, then really you should be feeling sick/nauseated all the time. Because your body is constantly being bombarded by this radiation.
I'd be interested to see if your symptoms could be tested under reasonable experimental conditions (e.g. placebo phone, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom