SemiAccurate gets some GTX480 scores

Status
Not open for further replies.
if nvidia really go to the point where they would be going under intel would buy them to be more competitive with ammd/ati it would be very interesting to see but this is speculation. also alot of these cards will sell to people who fold. so far that has been completely forgoten out of the picture. i cant stop to imagine how much of a monster this card will be for folding. but if it is priced at what people are speculating il be going ati.

Folding market is no where near large enough to sustain profits... I know you know that but im just sayin.

Yeah. When the X19xx line came out and the Folding client was updated for them they were beastly. Nvidia finally got their ducks in a row and the client was updated for them and now they Fold like mad. ATI is due a client revamp, especially with the new architecture. I figure that Fermi will cause an update, too... if/when it creeps out.

SemiAccurate :: Nvidia threatens it's partners at CeBIT

WHAT DO YOU do when there is a major international trade show, and you can't even supply all your partners with upcoming parts? You threaten them, which is exactly what Nvidia did for its upcoming GTX480 at CeBIT.

Just before the show started, Nvidia reps ran around and made their partners sign a ham-handed NDA list of what is acceptable and not acceptable to talk about at CeBIT. Nvidia is desperately afraid that numbers like this will leak out. Even though it is too late, Nvidia doesn't want it confirmed, so people must be shut up.

Last week, several sites contacted SemiAccurate saying that Nvidia called them and threatened to cut them off if they linked to the above story. This time, they were smart enough not to put anything in writing, but we hear there is at least one recording floating. It should be hilarious it ever becomes public.

At CeBIT, they were not nearly as tactful. Needless to say, this ****ed off their partners in the extreme, to the point where two of them found the author just to show him the NDA. When you are backed into a corner and need friends, that is not the time to start threatening.

Man, they really have failed. It really sucks for the consumer that they're not going to be competitive this time around. Hopefully they can get their **** together for their next series. From the way things have been going though, this seems unlikely.

Charlie is very biased no doubt, but he is also right most of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if the cards perform close to this. In my experience his bias doesn't make him exaggerate nvidia claims, he just ignores dirt about ATI.
The facts behind what he says are usually right, even if he does spin them to the extreme.
Yeah. When the X19xx line came out and the Folding client was updated for them they were beastly. Nvidia finally got their ducks in a row and the client was updated for them and now they Fold like mad. ATI is due a client revamp, especially with the new architecture. I figure that Fermi will cause an update, too... if/when it creeps out.
I think the next folding client will be either OpenCL or DirectCompute based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom