SemiAccurate gets some GTX480 scores

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
Hot, Buggy, and far too slow.​

NVIDIA HAS BEEN hinting about the performance of its upcoming GTX480 cards, and several of our moles got a lot of hands on time with a few cards recently. If you are waiting for killer results from the 'puppy', prepare for severe disappointment.

SemiAccurate :: SemiAccurate gets some GTX480 scores

* I don't know if these people are even considered good sources or not, but I thought it was a decent read. If this is a repost, feel free to delete it.

One said they measured it at 70C at idle on the 2D clock.
The GF100 GTX480 was not meant to be a GPU, it was a GPGPU chip pulled into service for graphics when the other plans at Nvidia failed. It is far too math DP FP heavy to be a good graphics chip, but roping shaders into doing tessellation is the one place where there is synergy. This is the only place where the GTX480 stood out from a HD5870. The benchmarks that Nvidia showed off at CES were hand-picked for good reason. They were the only ones that Nvidia could show a win on, something it really needs to capture sales for this card and its derivatives, if any.
The performance is too close to the HD5870, so Nvidia will be forced to sell it at HD5870 prices, basically $400. The GPU isn't a money maker at this price point, and at best, Nvidia can price it between the $400 HD5870 and the $600 HD5970. The only tools left to deal with this issue are PR and marketing as the chip is currently in production.
GTX480 is too hot, too big, too slow, and lacks anything that would recommend it over a HD5870, much less the vastly faster HD5970. Nvidia is said to be producing only 5,000 to 8,000 of these cards, and it will lose money on each one. The architecture is wrong, and that is unfixable. The physical design is broken, and that is not fixable in any time frame that matters. When you don't have anything to show, spin. Nvidia is spinning faster than it ever has before.
Some of the points, just read it though.

Hmmm, not sure if I believe it (a site called semi-accurate...) but if it is true, I'm happy I got the 5870. If it isn't true (which I hope it isn't, to be honest), it'll be good for the enthusiast community.

I highly doubt Nvidia would release it if it was only at 5870 levels..they have no use in it..it's to far into this gen to really try to compete with it so they would need to make it better if they wanted any chance at all

I'm not really Anti-either company to be honest. I've had cards from both and I liked them both (well, besides the failing 8800, pretty sure that was due to heat when I didn't know about the importance of keeping components cool, then the failing RMA 9800). Only thing I prefer really is Nvidia's drivers, seems like I've had more problems with CCC/ATI's graphics drivers than I did with Nvidia.

The time in "only time will tell" better be a pretty small amount :p.

Check out nvidia's announcement on facebook.
"The wait is almost over! The world's most anticipated--and
fastest--PC graphics gaming technology ever created will be unveiled at PAX 2010." PAX East 2010 is on March 26th, 2010

NVIDIA | Facebook

NVIDIA really knows how to screw with people right now, by the looks of things I don't expect consumers to be able to get a card until June-December. Might be best just to get an Ati card now instead of playing the waiting game.

Charlie is very biased no doubt, but he is also right most of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if the cards perform close to this. In my experience his bias doesn't make him exaggerate nvidia claims, he just ignores dirt about ATI.

new nvidia post...
nvidia facebook said:
We want to apologize for the confusion around our most recent GF100 update. To clarify, the launch date for GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470 is March 26, 2010. This date also coincides with the GeForce LAN event NVIDIA is hosting at PAX 2010. Hope you can attend the show. For more info, please visit: www.nvidia.com/paxeast

Well, this is quite disappointing. There is going to be nothing to push down the price of the ati cards. Luckily for me I'm not going to need to buy a card this generation. Still, a failure as big as this (assuming Nvidia is forced to price their cards much higher), is not good for Nvidia. I don't want to see them get forced out of the graphics card market. Ati has had the upper-hand on them for quite some time. We need some other company to get into the market to fuel some more competition. Nvidia just can't compete anymore I guess.

if nvidia really go to the point where they would be going under intel would buy them to be more competitive with ammd/ati it would be very interesting to see but this is speculation. also alot of these cards will sell to people who fold. so far that has been completely forgoten out of the picture. i cant stop to imagine how much of a monster this card will be for folding. but if it is priced at what people are speculating il be going ati.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom