Say bye bye to the Core i7 920.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think it'd be good to keep them both going.

i7 is great performance, good over clocking, good chipset, future has 32nm

i5 cheaper but good performance...cheaper chipset

Smart thing to do would be to have one socket, different chipsets, but no chips has ever been succesful that way. :freak:

Ya essentially what this does is force people to spend $1000+ if they want to be futureproof.. but then again they could always buy a board and keep it until 32nm Westmere's come out... but that's just not economical and you may have a DOA one

The issue with I7, Intel will only allow there single chipset for that cpu... That will eventualy be a downfall IMO... Watch them pull the same stunt with I5.

Even if they let nvidia make chipsets for i7 a lot of people would not buy them. Intel has had significatly better overclocking chipsets than nvidia for a while but in the past the nforce boards were the only way to run sli sp people still bought them.

Even if they let nvidia make chipsets for i7 no one would buy them. Intel has had significatly better overclocking chipsets than nvidia for a while but in the past the nforce boards were the only way to run sli sp people still bought them.

Not quite true, a lot of FreeBSD and Linux people like nvidia boards as they provide better support.

Not quite true, a lot of FreeBSD and Linux people like nvidia boards as they provide better support.

I knew I should have said a lot of people wouldn't buy them because there is always an exception.

Is Intel's BSD support bad?

I knew I should have said a lot of people wouldn't buy them because there is always an exception.

Is Intel's BSD support bad?

Not exactly bad in fact it is prity good but people get better support for nvida chipsets, intel's wireless cards are great under FreeBSD as are the mobile chipsets an server equipment but lot's an lots of people who use it on desktops notice that nvida gives them more bang for the buck performance.

Fair enough. I know nvidias cards are very nicely supported in most *nix os's so it makes sense the same would hold true for their boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom