Say bye bye to the Core i7 920.

Status
Not open for further replies.
my understanding was to keep the i7 socket but just continue the existing line of intel processors. So the 920/40/65 will be gone a replaced with the 950 and 975 which are available through some retailers already and are all D0. I don't think the i5 are meant to replace the i7's, this is intels plan to dominate the market in both mid and high end solutions.

hmm.. I think you are right though..

But you still lose any chance on upgrading to anything, as this socket will pretty much be dead afterwards anyways, and you'd need LGA1366 to upgrade to Westmeres

The I7 reminds me of the first attempt by AMD to make a quad core system, while using two sockets and two normal dual core processors... It was a niche, short lived, and some still have it...
Socket F is still used a lot. Just not in the desktop PC market.

AM2+ to AM3 was a great move though. Doesn't matter which board you have, you can still use newer CPU's.

If anything, the i7 920 would be a few % pts better, the i5 has its BLCK at 166 instead of 133.
with that being said, its turbo mode will be the equalizer which will make them both pretty much the same. The i7 platform just had more bandwidth available for the ultra enthusiasts and workstations.

will I5 get triple channel? if not that is the winning key....DDR3 is getting to the point that it's really cheap so there is no reason to pass it up

i thought i read somewhere it was going to be dual channel ddr3, maybe that was a am3 review... i cant remember now.

okay..if that is so.........what's the point in introducing triple-channel then basically almost killing the only socket that supports it? seems ignorant. I know it won't be completely dead since westmere will be on it..but it's still a bit away

I'm really wondering what is going through intel's head right now. I know they want to use 1366 for high end servers and such, but killing i7 is stupid in my opinion.

They aren't killing the whole i7 series, they are just discontinuing the 920 and the 940 (which has already been replaced by the 950).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom