Radeon HD 2900XTX to appear in late July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanto

Daemon Poster
Link: Radeon HD 2900XTX to appear in late July :: TweakTown

We have got some information form a reliable source that ATI will be launching the Radeon HD 2900XTX in the end anyhow but nobody is entirely clear on the exact details.

It will most likely not be out until late July or early August, but it should be on display at Computex by at least a couple of ATI's partners from what our Taiwan spies are telling us. This is the consumer version of the XTX and will look pretty much identical to the HD 2900XT except with a different sticker and more and faster GDDR-4 RAM under the cooler, i.e. this is not the 12.4in full length cards that will be available from OEM's although both PCB length versions are floating around. The model name hasn't been set as yet and it might be called XT GDDR4 or XTX, but we'll stick with XTX for now. ATI partners have the option of ordering either the GDDR-3 XT or GDDR-4 version right now.

It will feature 1GB of GDDR memory and this means a higher memory clock, up from 1650MHz DDR for the HD 2900XT to 2020MHz DDR. The core will also be boosted, but only a laughable 10MHz from 740 to 750MHz. It seems like there will be as much point in buying the Radeon HD 2900XTX as it is to buy a GeForce 8800 Ultra. Maybe the era of the super high-end cards is finally over and we will all get decent performance from an affordable graphics card, but then again, miracles doesn't happen that easily.

ATI's 1GB GDDR-4 card will likely be priced around the same as Nvidia's GeForce 8800GTX 768MB at around $550 USD and you will probably be able to buy it in late July or sometime in August.

The question that comes to my mind right now is should I wait finally until the freaking AMD-ATI cards comes out so I can buy my GTX or should I buy it next week?

If I were you I would buy GTX next week

There is no point for waiting for 2 or 3 months for a video card that might not be able to beat 8800GTX

You can get GTX for $529 only
Newegg.com - PNY VCG8800XXWB GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - OEM
Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

or you can even get an overclocked version of GTX for $519 after rebate
Newegg.com - Foxconn FV-N88XMAD2-ONOC GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 OverClock HDCP Video Card - Retail

The overclocked its very tempting, call me sentimental but I like eVGA for his reputation and brand and also for the design of the videocard.
Once again I'll tell you is very tempting indeed.

i'm considering 8800 gts? is the r600 supposed to beat 8800 gtx? and will there be more affordable DX10 Cards from AMD?

HD 2900 XTX is going to be better then all the rest of the video cards that r out right now, heck, AMD even made the R600 65nm, which is a huge step towards next next-gen graphics cards, challenging the 8900, from what i read.

HD 2900 XTX is going to be better then all the rest of the video cards that r out right now, heck, AMD even made the R600 65nm, which is a huge step towards next next-gen graphics cards, challenging the 8900, from what i read.

Not all R600 are 65nm

HD2900 is 80nm

HD2600 and HD2400 are build on 65nm

According to benchmarks that we have now, the HD2900 doesn't perform well !!!

The 2900 XT isn't going up against the GTX, but is priced at a MSRP of $399.99, the same as the 8800 GTS 640MB.

I believe most of the disappointment of the 2900 is mostly software, AMD doesn't have 6 months of driver development like Nvidia does, which even after all that time 8800 dirvers are still are buggy.

I would wait until the ATI card comes out.

With the way the free market economy works...the competition between the two companies should drive the price of the 8800 lower.

as soon as AMD comes out with something better Nvidia will come out with something better... Then ATI will come out with something better then what Nvidia made.

Its going to be like this for a long long time.

Just get it while its hot.

And try to wait to update your system when all the games start to get real good. (which i didnt do)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom