[Question] Virtual reality

Phlay

Beta member
Hello,
I'm quite fond of the idea of a virtual reality as in the Matrix or especially one like in an anime I watched recently - Sword Art Online.
And I wondered: how would it be able for us to go from the real world to the virtual one without the process hurting us in some way. Because in the above examples the people fall into some kind of sleeping or unconcious state, I think, which seems a bit violent for everyday use like in the SAO. Not to mention that in the Matrix you are getting a giant plug plugged into you.
So my question is: what do you think it would be the way to go into a virtual reality?
My idea is that the device which is going to be used will send strong signals to the brain, stimulating it to think it receives information from the five sences, and by receiving this information by those strong signals, which is actually information from the virtual reality, the infromation from the real world would be numbed down and thus ignored by the brain. And so we start seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and touching the things from the virtual reallity.
Not sure if this is possible though. And what is to stop you body from moving while you try to do something in the virtual world? But I'd like to imagine it will be something like that.

Look up Virtual Dreamers on youtube and watch his videos on the topic. He knows a lot about the topic, and his first video on the topic related specifically to the technology in Sword Art Online, so his page will answer all your questions and more.

I've been interested in full immersion virtual reality for quite a while now, and his page is one of the places I watch for new information; he doesn't post videos as often as he used to (he started going to college), but when he does he covers quite a bit in one shot, and does so in really good detail.

To give you an idea of what his videos will tell you; he goes over everything from how the tech worked in SAO and how similar tech would function / be made in the real world, to info on current VR technology and work on building his own rig to use all this technology for a full-immersion experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom