question regarding AMD Athlon XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man dont ever consider one of those piles of juck, they dont even bother attaching an AGP slot to the motherboard. damn cheapskates

Borgmeister said:
Oh man dont ever consider one of those piles of juck, they dont even bother attaching an AGP slot to the motherboard. damn cheapskates

Not all models of e-machines are like that. I saw some at Bestbuy with AGP slots. But i do agree that you should generally stay away from them unless you're on a tight budget.

I wouldn't pay 1,600.00 for that rig, There's no specifics, Ram type, Mobo etc...You can build one hell of a box for that much coin.

I was listening to a salesmen from futureshop spend 10 mins trying to convince me why I should get an emachine.

APPARANTLY...
The company has been "reshuffled" and they are under new management bla bla bla...long story short, they are SUPPOSED to be better then what they used to be...and what they used to be was crap :p

I had a newer eMachine with an AGP slot, it's too bad you couldn't use the darn thing, it's all proprietary. I dulled out over 200 bucks for a nice Nvidia card just to hook it up for it to not work, no matter what order I installed the drivers, even with XP that's usually supposed to find the correct drivers anyway. My system failed and would not boot unless I removed the drivers and card.

Since the eMachine, I'm all about getting a custom comp built for me. That way you know you can upgrade, and you know exactly what you get, built to spec.

ekÆsine said:
stay away from emachines, look to see what HP/ Compaq or Dell offer instead.

Dell never made AMD based system (wonder why),

AMD is little tough to configure, once configured, it becomes tough to beat.

I had once (my souul decision) where everybody told me CONS only about AMD, built myself AMD, other than my own decision, I have been told my the processor vendor that once you made system with AMD, you wont turn back to Intel (he was right) , after that I have chenged around 6 systems in 1.5 year time, and 4 of them were AMD's. I had AMD system before, and I still miss it. this time had to specially made intel due to HT technology for my Photoshop/Premiere, else P4C800 came with very good memory bypass architecture.

Getting an AMD will be one heck of an upgrage from a Celeron. Check in at a computer store and see what they have in the way of kits. You can save money that way and get a choice of different features that you require for your particular purpose. Do like the other posts above recommended and stay away from e-machines. They are nothing but trouble. Forget about the 2.66 that someone mentioned to you, It is probably the processor speed. The design of the processor is as important as the speed. For programming, You may want to look to the future and spend the extra bucks on a 64 bit processor so that you can run your programs on a machine that it is designed for. Just a thought.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom